Fall off the Map

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fall off the Map, Jul 24, 2016.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

:ROFLMAO: Maybe it was the weather after all. Well, If I miss his next birthday, I'm covered

Ura-Ki, ghrit and Pax Mentis like this.
  2. The science season hasn't started yet. Right now it's just a bunch of maintenance and construction work. Mostly I'm working on installing DDC controls so that a guy in an office in Denver can control the temperature in buildings down here. I'm in for it tomorrow though... 18 hour shut-down, cutting into 4 3" rigid conduits, adding a pull box, pulling out some wire, pulling in some wire... all with -60F with the wind chill predicted. Tomorrow's gonna suck. Later in the year I might get to go out to the field camps. There was a cool project involving testing an under ice robot that is a prototype for a future mission to Europa.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Did they ever get the aquaponics program off the ground at McMurdo? Back in the 80s, IIRC

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. No, but they did build a greenhouse at the south pole station.

5. ghrit

The greenhouse was being thought about when the stilt buildings were in design investigations. (Scotty was thinking about it,. even then. I'll remember his full name one of these days, too lazy to pull out the reports and find it.) I lost complete touch with that project, did not know it had been done, tho' the buildings were built. Odd growing season ---

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

the thought of going to Antarctica has been intriguing for years .
    An acquaintance from work years go had spent time working for Raytheon seasonally and was quite happy with her experience.
    I have too many irons in the fire to be going any were but ,I can dream.
    I like cold weather , I function best in it.
    Welcome to the forum .

Ura-Ki and Fall off the Map like this.
  7. ghrit

Here's yours truly back in the polar summer of 90, in full issue cold weather gear. Temp at the time was around -17F in full summer sun. I have to think that more modern gear is in use these days. That said, it was right comfy unless the wind was blowing. 66-04.
    Perhaps worth the mention, sunglasses are a true requirement, and should be much darker than off the shelf shades. The snow glare is about as miserable way to blind yourself as you can imagine. That pair was special order prescription, for which the NSF (um, "gladly") paid. If anyone cares, they were rated to cut light by about 50%, roughly equivalent to an ND4 photo filter. (Electronic camera? WTF is that?)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  8. We still use big red and bunny boots. They really seem to go cheap on the cold weather gear. The polyester face masks they provide are terrible, but with enough layers you can survive just about anything. When I'm working outside on bad days I wear double socks (one pair is wool) and double thermal long underwear. Those are items I brought. I also wear insulated Carhartts over insulated pants, a fleece jacket, big red (the jacket shown in the above photo), bunny boots, a ski mask, and some really terrible gloves. All NSF issue. I use two pairs of toe warmers in both my boots and gloves, which saves my fingers. I'm really surprised at these silly leather gloves they give us. I've been pulling out old electrical cables that have pulling lube that doesn't freeze. My gloves get soaking wet. Without the toe warmers in my gloves I think I would have lost fingers before I could run inside and warm up.

Ura-Ki and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7