Family fights government over rare ‘Double Eagle’ gold coins

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  2. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Yeah, I read about that the other day...I can't believe they took all of them to the government for authentication...why, why, why??? Ridiculous...never trust them!

tacmotusn, BTPost and IceNiner like this.
  3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Here is the linked story:

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-family-fights-us-over-rare-1933-gold-154130292.html

I think there is a bit more to it than the gov just reclaiming gold.
    Sounds like Grandpa was a thief. If they knew that history, why did they take them to the .gov?

Thanks for sharing this one QS. It reads like a 1930s heist film or something. I can't help but root for the "bad guy". Amazing. I imagine that Switt didn't have any issues through the Great Depression.

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Love the "innocent until proven guilty" stance. "Long believed" means "we have no proof, but we're going to make your life miserable anyway."

"Inheritance tax" - I can't believe people stand for this legalized theft. You work your butt off...or, you're rich and never worked a day in your life; in any event, you've probably been taxed once on the money, then the govt comes along and sees an opportunity: "Hey, the father gave his kids $30k...that's income, we can tax that."

Disgusting.... You're now seeing the govt. the Framers were afraid of. I should start selling shirts that have picture of Obama pointing at you with the caption "I'm the one Publius warned you about."

“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison

5. helmetmike

helmetmike Monkey+

This type of action by the gov't does not surprise me. I can see a time in the near future when the gov't will once again outlaw its citizens from possessing gold. It is only a matter of time before they try to initiate another gold grab. Back in the mid-seventies a friend of mine had a rare coin business and he was doing a brisk business selling $20 gold coins for around $100. Needless to say, one day a couple of US Treasury agents walk into the shop and sieze all of his gold coins. They claimed there was a complaint of counterfit coins being sold. They took all the gold for "authentification" and never returned any of it. When he tried to contact them, they said don't call us, we'll call you. When he kept trying to recover his property he was told to stop or he would be charged with counterfiting. Needless to say he was never charged, never recovered his gold coins and lost a sizeable chunk of change. The funny part is that he stayed in the coin business for almost twenty years with no problems or complaints and continued to buy and sell gold. However after the feds visit he never sold to anyone he didn't know and never displayed any gold coins in his shop. He swore that the gov't would never steal gold from him again and they didn't. If you have gold, keep it safe and secure. The last thing you want is a fed stopping by to "authenticate" or outright seize your gold.

6. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7