Faraday Flashlight

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Mortis, May 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

[​IMG]

I picked up a Faraday Flashlight just before my jaunt down to Breckenridge, Texas last weekend. We played with it abit there too see just how well it worked. We did not take it onto the range proper for yardage testing, but did get some decent range estimations back near the range house. Fifty (50) to Seventy-Five (75) yards seemed to be it's working limit.

This light is a single LED flashlight, using a flat mirrored reflective surface and a magnifying lense.

Pluses: Compact size in relation to it's ability. No Batteries required. Weight is comparable to a Mini-Mag w/batteries.

Minuses: Clear, plastic body which allows reflected light back to highlight the user. Plastic lens cap.

Granted, these lights come in several, transparent colors, I would paint the body to reduce reflective light and add a strip of tape around or glue the lense cap to the body to prevent it from coming apart in case of a hard knock or drop as is common with plastic flashlights.

It does appear to be made from a heavy ABS plastic, which will make it rugged enough, once minor treatments are taken care of.

This light was purchased at Walmart in the Fishing Department. There is also a 5 LED flashlight on the market. The price for either as I found them was under $15.00 each. Small price for not having to rely on batteries.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have three or four of them. They seem to hold light better when they are newer, but after using one occasionally for a couple of months it got to the point that it didn't matter how much you shook it, the light was only working for a minute, even then it is a lot dimmer than when it was new. I do believe that it is better than nothing, that is why I have one in my BOB and I keep one in the vehicles. However, having a supply of batteries and LED flashlights is a lot better idea .

Thanks for the review.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

EL..

Thanks for your follow-up comments concerning life expectancy. I'll try to keep track of usage and report later on.

I agree..... some light is better then none at all.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You bet. Glad to have you aboard Mortis.[winkthumb]

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have a few 'shaker' lights. Have had good results out of all of them.

NOTE: THey do not go well as a backup for boaters. The magnet plays havoc with the compass at the helm. My father wondered WTH was up with his auto pilot until we located the large magnet light stored next to the controls

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Had a flashlight like that. My wife gave it to me for Christmas this past year. I had it sitting on top of the safe and went to use it without shaking, worked great [dunno]. I shook it up, but no change. About a week later it got knocked off the shelf it was on an the switch broke, no biggie I thought, so I took the thing apart. It had 3 batteries where there should have been a capacitor LOL.

Don't know what she paid for the light, or what brand/model, but it was a total fake of a faraday light.

Be careful out there and make sure you get the real thing! [winkthumb]

reinkefj likes this.
  7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

LOL where did she buy that at? amazing what people will stoop too for a buck.

8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Dunno where she got it from, it was a Christmas present and I didn't wanna ask ;)

Well, guess on the bright side we now know what to look for with these types of lights ;)

9. gosouth

gosouth Monkey+++

I have two similar to the one in the picture - does not have a capacitor but does have 2 rechageable button-type batteries, It works well (2 years living so far)

10. SeptemberMage

SeptemberMage LaMOE Monkey

I own 10 of that style, 5 big, 5 smaller. I actually keep half of them in a Faraday Box (funny, I know,) but I imagine they would be vulnerable to EMP. Anyone know if they are more vulnerable than conventional flashlights to EMP?

11. gosouth

gosouth Monkey+++

I dont know for sure but everything point in that direction: after all the farady flashlifgts use a diode instead of a lightbulb and have electronics inside. A common flashlight only has batteries and a lightbulb. Both things are EMP proof that I know for sure.

12. Baphomet Jones

Baphomet Jones Monkey+++

If I had the money I'd buy two of them, and build a super duper shakelight. Aluminum body with multiple LED's, tough glass lense, maybe an option to run off battery power too? I'm sure the circuit really isn't that difficult to figure out. Maybe the aluminum would screw things up though, eddy currents and whatnot?

13. Baphomet Jones

Baphomet Jones Monkey+++

The coiled copper wire in the faraday light would soak up EMP and possibly burn out the LED, a possibility if the power switch is left "on" but maybe also possible if the EMP is strong enough to arc across the gap?

14. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I have a few in my kids BOB's figure that way they have light without having to worry about batteries, plus they get a kick out of shaking them

I carry a Dorcy flashlight with me at all times
    http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414281

Have to say the batteries don't get eaten up that bad, I'm on my original set which I got in August. I use the light every night on my mile long walk with the dog.

15. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

It would take alot of emp to hurt the flashlight. The power would have to arc and burn out the LED via reverse voltage spike, or a forward V spike. It could also possibly burn up the cap/ batteries but its doubtful. One thing though. all that copper wire would act as a antenna.

16. footballguy84

footballguy84 Monkey+

I've never tried the Faraday light, but I do own one full sized and one travel sized LED flashlight. They are leaps and bounds better than any traditional flashlight. I found mine at Flashlightz for a good price. Not sure where all you can buy these today, but they are worth the money for sure.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We had a few of these "shaker" flashlights. They didn't last long at all. They were supposed to last forever and I guess they do but after a year, one spends more time shaking the thing then using it. Does anyone still use these? We bought ours a few years ago and replaced them. I wonder if they have improved over the years.

18. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

these are my everyday flashlights..1st pic,and the one on the left.i've had it since 2011-12.it uses 2D's the other is a 3AAA LED light..rechargeabl battries in each of them.the other pic.2 ink pen flashlights.their great for up close,and while searching fo something where there's normally not enough light..3rd one.3A's headlamp with a magnet on the back of it.great for extra light when checking the oil n all in vehicle.4th my mom use's them at her pc desk when she has a hard time seeing something,from not enough light.5th one.i use it time to time,outof convenance..
    014 (2).JPG 022.JPG 5e319324f2f1903da6bb11b26da07b44. 017 (2).JPG 016 (2).JPG

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

When we formed our 4H group many years ago, I supplied all the kids with a pack and kit. They each had one of those shake lights as well as a small battery light.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Ganado
  3. The_Prepared
  4. Southbound
  5. Hanzo
  6. M118LR
  7. jim2
  8. H.I.S Survival
  9. Motomom34
  10. Hanzo
  11. Hanzo