Farmers Almanac Winter Prediction 2019-20

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This years Farmers Almanac winter prediction is out. The FA has an 80.4% accuracy rate. Ever year I pay close attention to what they say and it is one thing that helps motivate me to prepare for the coming months.

19-2020-us-winter-weather-forecast-map-buy-crop.
    2019–2020 Winter Forecast

Here is an overview of their prediction. Details are given in the book. I always purchase one because it is tradition.

Will it Snow in Winter 2019–2020?

In the U.S., this winter will be remembered for strong storms bringing a steady roofbeat of heavy rain and sleet, not to mention piles of snow. The 2020 Old Farmer’s Almanac is calling for frequent snow events—from flurries to no fewer than seven big snowstorms from coast to coast, including two in April for the Intermountain region west of the Rockies.

This snow-verload will include storms pummeling Washington state and points eastward across the northern-tier states into Michigan. For the normally rain-soaked Northwest, this could mean a repeat of last winter’s record-breaking extremes, including the Snowpocalypse that dumped 20.2 inches on Seattle in February.

The middle of the country and New England can bank on a slush fund, as “more wet than white” conditions will leave sludgy messes that freeze during the overnights. Meanwhile, much of the Deep South will be saturated by soakers. As winter rages, the tip of the nice-berg will be Florida, the Gulf Coast, and Texas, which will bask in pleasant weather.

In Canada, expect a season full of snow, snow, and more snow. And more snow. Nearly all of Canada should expect above-average precipitation this winter, much of it falling as snow. No fewer than eight major snowstorms are predicted, including a series of significant snow events from mid- to late January in Atlantic Canada and Southern Ontario.

While parts of Quebec, the southern portions of Alberta, and British Columbia will be spared the worst of the winter snows, they won’t be entirely off the hook: These areas should expect rain, freezing rain, and sleet throughout the season.

In some parts of the country, the snows will stretch into spring. Southern Quebec should prepare for snow showers into mid-March, while the Prairies won’t experience winter’s last hurrah until early April.

2019–2020 Winter Forecast

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Wet would be nice... Maybe we could get a nice Chinook Salmon four years from now.. :rolleyes:

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Good for Texas.

Tree Trimmers for utilities have been by twice! Maybe they know something the Almanac folks don't.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Looks good for us in Florida! :)

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

OryGun looks good! NOT, likely gonna be REAL ICY DICEY in the Gorge areas and east Portland/greater Portland is gonna get socked in! Haven't had a real good Ice storm in too many years, and naturally it will grind the entire area to a screeching halt, Like Always! I remember three "Super Storms" growing up between 1973 and 1988 where the entire valley was completely screwed up under severe Ice, power lines down everywhere, trees snapped off, roads impassable, the works! You would think an area as well known for that kind of weather would have a handle on how to deal with it, Hell no they don't, every single snowflake puts folks in a panic, and what's worse, the cities and counties are always cutting back on the road crews and equipment, so when it does get bad, they are completely inept, incapable of doing anything, and this time it's likely going to kill a bunch of "City Campers" and while that might sound good, it isn't what were about! I could go on and on, but I shant as it would likely get me in hot water with the staff!

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey MOTO, wanna take bets on how much Snow we get in Co?
    I bet my ranch sees 6 feet or more this winter! I bet you see at least 2 down on the Front Range ( though your not on the range any more, right?) Hopefully we don't get the nasty freezing rains, I already got a mess from 2 years ago I had to put off yet again, and it ain't going to take care of it's self! Ugg, being a long distance commuter sucks right now!

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Are you sure you still don't have snow in places at your ranch? Just Jeeped past a snow bank up near Moffat tunnel yesterday. I have my roof rake ready and snow tires are going on by Oct 1 for the cars. They say the snow is mainly going to be on the Western slope and rain in Denver which is snow in the foothills. I think we will have more snowpack this coming winter then last year.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I was there a few months ago for a few weeks, and there was no snow ( mostly because of the sunshine over most of the area)
    but there might have been a few spots I didn't see! It was NOT Warm, which I thought was a little unusual, but given that my main concern was fire mitigation, I didn't get to spend much time doing anything else! Hoping after this spring we can return for at least part of the year and build up to full time again! Will be back to the ranch for Christmas though, really looking forward to it!

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Arizona.... showery? lol we will all be taking baths?

Texas.... pleasant Im definitely moving

NE .... wet and wild!

@Cruisin Sloth is living in ... a parade of snowstorms :eek:

here we go!

i do love the farmers almanac

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
    Zimmy likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Mostly suck with brief periods that don't suck as much.

Ganado, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. natshare
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. TinyDreams
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. Big Ron
  10. john316
  11. Motomom34
  12. Thunder5Ranch