1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Fast Hot Smoked Bacon or is it a belly roast.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Thunder5Ranch, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey

One of my favorite things in the world is this simple recipe, made from fresh side. And makes a good roast or bacon :) Roll the side slab in salt and pepper and then throw it in the smoker on the cool side for 4 hours Keep the hot side small to slice into bacon and medium hot to smoke as a belly roast. A good bacon fix while the rest of the slabs are hanging out with the hams in the smoke house cold smoking to perfection :) I like hickory smoked and use shagbark hickory since you can get intense hickory flavor just using the bark and don't have to kill the tree.

100_2973.JPG 100_2978.JPG 100_2977.JPG 100_2979.JPG
  2. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Good to know. I have two shagbarks ready to hand ---. All I need now is a smoker.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey

A little bit of shag bark soaked in water goes a long way, unless you really really like intense hickory flavor. Really the bark is about 20x more potent than the wood. I look like a damn fool 20 feet up a ladder pulling bark off my favorite trees. Just don't go down to the green bark and it shags out again in a couple of years.
    Ganado and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary