Favorite Handgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dustintml, Apr 21, 2023.

1. dustintml

dustintml Monkey

I always liked the Sig Sauer P226; it’s actually the only handgun I’ve ever owned. I figure if it’s the official sidearm of the SEALs it must be a pretty good gun. What is your favorite handgun?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not a fan of SIG pistols, not because they are bad, but mostly because like Glonk, they have so many damn models, it's impossible to keep up, and your notion of being the Preferred side arm of the Squeals is laughable, the Military is it's own worst enemy in that they are forced to buy what Congress Tells/Allows them, and not what they would actually choose on their own, ask me how I know this!

I was issued a SIG M-11 very late in my 20 years in JSOC ( SIG P-228 to you civilians) and it served the mission, until it didn't, and we stole back our beloved Beretta M-9F's ( Except for a few of us, who stole back our Colt Delta Elites) because we didn't answer to congress like the Squeaks did, nor were we subject to the wide scrutiny they were! Outside of being practically untouchable within JSOC, we selected the weapons WE needed, as long as we could justify those choices with actual facts and stats, we got what ever we asked for, and our budget was never a factor!

I started out on the 1911 as a 16 year old kid, the first pistol I ever purchased, back when the choices were pretty limited outside revolvers, ( Which I also went with, A Colt Python like Grand Daddy carried, I purchased a few months later, because the snakes are a whole nother level of cool) so I had a bit of a head start against my contemporaries in the service, I will challenge anyone anywhere to shoot for score against me and my beloved 1911! Outside of that, the Beretta M-9 has earned it's place as an absolute CLASSIC among fighting sidearms, it just doesn't get any better then that.
    I'm not knocking YOUR choice of pistol, just sharing my experience and wisdom, for what it's worth, and for those that say the M-1911 is an outdated relic of the past, I say put your money where your mouth is and lets shoot for score to any Military course you choose ( just know I still qualify as Expert Marksman, No matter the pistol used) and I choose the Double Stack M-2011 I hand built for my self several years back!

Bandit99 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

ALL of my guns are favorites...or I wouldn't own them! Have the right tool for the job, cause a tool kit that contains just a hammer isn't much of a tool kit. I would be happy to carry a double-action revolver (.38 or .357), 1911 (.45) or Beretta 9F (9mm) into almost any situation. Actually, almost any decent handgun (and ammo) will get the job done! There is no one best/perfect/ideal gun (or ammo) that will make you a great shot or a super soldier...to do that you have to practice and train!

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Like all the ones I have as well, but if I had to only keep one it would be the Glock 21SF. It is big, dumb, heavy, and flawlessly spits 45ACP accurately. 2749 rounds (bad primer) with 2 cleanings, although I promise to do better in the future.

Dunerunner and VisuTrac like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Not only is this the best its also hands down the sexiest pistol ever made.

Beretta-92FS-1.

gii shi kan dug likes this.
  6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

All of my handguns, but my EDC is now a Glock 43x, previously it was a Glock 27. I actually have a G22,23,27 and now the 43x.
    I decided last year that my wife and I should standardize on the same caliber to make it easier for storing. However, I'm not getting rid of my 40S&W glocks, rather for my 23 I have purchased the 9mm mags and barrel.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nothing wrong with a Sig 226, but for me and mine, we started with a Colt 1903 Pocket, Hammer, in 38ACP, which we still have… Then graduated to a Belgian Browning HighPower in 9mm, and AlaskaChick moved from a Lama .380, to her Dan Wesson Stainless .357 Mag Pistol Pack… Those haven’t changed in two decades.. J. M. Browning was the best FireArms designer EVER…

8. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I have at least a dozen pistols and revolvers in various calibers. I have sold or traded another dozen or more over the years. The more you shoot different brands and styles you will learn you will shoot some better then others. We are not all the same and guns are not either. I have several favorites depending on what I am doing. I try to pick the right tool for the job.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

"Favorite" really depends on what it's usage is.
    We talking hunting small game or deer.
    If we are talking about protection .. are we talking the two legged kind or a black bear or a coastal brown / grizzly?

I'd not want to use any thing larger than a 22LR for a rabbit/grouse but I surely wouldn't want to use that on a black bear.
    I'd also not want to use a 9mm on much other than a two legged predator.

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When I got to Alaska in 1980, to work in a Tactical Air Control Party, I was issued a SW M&P 10 (I guess - never opened the storage envelope) 38 spl by the Air Force.

Which, when assigned to an Amry post is about as useful as - a brick. No logistics trail for ammo. We received permission to purchase and carry our own 45ACP - if the Army decided they could maintain said pistol.
    I bought and carried a Springfield Govt model. The Big Army decided it was good enough.

You can imagine the hilarity when I showed up at the USAF Hospital to collect my aid bag supplies carrying both the 45 and a GAU-5 rifle. And my ID card did NOT have the usual (and worthless) Geneva Convention disclaimer. F that shit - nobody we have tussled with since the '40s GAS about that either......

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  11. dustintml

dustintml Monkey

Can’t actually hunt with a handgun in Canada; unless of course you want to do so illegally. Can’t even get a concealed carry permit unless you can prove to the government that your life is in imminent danger. When I owned my Sig all I did was some target shooting at the range. Though the thought of using it in self-defense was always there.

12. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

What happened to your old Sig?

13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Geeze, I have to pick just one?

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

See post #5 for perfection boys.
    If its good enough for Bruce Willis then its good enough for America !

Dunerunner likes this.
  15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Para-Ordinance P14-45 aluminum frame double stack 1911, hands down. Great balance and pointability. Not too heavy and not too much recoil.

The double stack must have been a huge oversight by old Mormon John Browning because I feel the first 1911 ever made should have been that way. That will one of the first 20 questions I ask after I pass the Pearly Gates.

The 1990s aluminum frame was slandered for having issues but after 60k+ rounds I have only had to replace the firing group once (full auto unless series 80 engaged).

I'm putting a Holosun solar sight on it this year but frankly, this blaster puts the lead where I'm looking by muscle memory. I think it's sexy.

And @Ura-Ki , I'll take that bet and buy you beer to help you through your time of disappointment.

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My favorite would be one these two.

Old Blackhawk in .44 Magnum, New Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP. The only thing that comes close to these two at 50 yards is a TOZ-35. I can load hot or mild, shot, and even round ball. Blackhawks.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

No offense but...

[​IMG]

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'd not suggest a Nagant Revolver in 7.62x38r.
    maxresdefault.

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Should be quiet the way it locks up the cylinder gap, though...

It would be handy if we got to shoot commisars...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

When you say 1911, you've said it all!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2023
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7