Favorite skill to teach other

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olympic mountain man, Aug 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Rocks and sticks are free. Also endless. :D

Salted Weapon and chelloveck like this.
  2. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

Yeah now you get it lol

Salted Weapon and chelloveck like this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

thanks for the link

Tevin likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There is plenty of info on the interwebs on how to manufacture improvised firearms and the ammo to feed them, using basic home workshop equipment, materials and skills...though YMMV with regards to ease of manufacture, safe use, legality, and effectiveness. OPSEC will be your friend if you intend manufacturing, possessing or using such items that are legally questionable (Else you may end up sharing a cell with Gunkid! :eek:. Know your laws and assess your risks.

Similarly, there is a mountain of information on making improvised (non firearm) weapons. The same concerns apply as for firearms.

YouTube, Pinterest, Instructables and a host of survival / prepper sites are good options for finding suitable projects....but just a couple of hints....

1. Avoid searches and sites that feature "airsoft", "nerf", or "SCA" (Society for Creative Anachronism)....mostly such stuff is "sub lethal" and would only serve to annoy, or vastly amuse mutant zombie bikers.

2. Avoid sharing your new found enthusiasm for atlatls, improvised bows, and slingshots in the hunting / fishing forum....it just annoys @Kingfish. ;)

5. Olympic mountain man

avoid sharing?? why ? I know most primitive weapons already im just trying to help others

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Chel is just trying to rile me up. Not working. Share by all means. I just call bs when I see it. Watch Naked and Afraid xl in Africa. They even have a fairly nice self bow and arrows , game all around them and one guy made an Atlatl. One Lizzard killed with the bow. I mean watch the footage . it a gruesome testament of the ineffectiveness of these weapons. But it doesn't annoy me because I know Im right :) The best part was Darrin who is great rodent catcher (rat kabobs) standing on one side of the pond with the bow, a fat kudu on the other side and he says to the camera , If I had a rifle we would be eating.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    chelloveck likes this.
  7. chelloveck

I do admire a man with restraint. :)(y)

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Hey Chel, do you get that series Naked and Afraid over there? The new series XL is a brutal test of primitive weapons . the last episode it looks like they may have got their first Gazelle with a wire snare at day 21 out of 40 . It is brutal conditions temps in 100 degree mark during the day Lions, and other predators all around them. three tap outs so far out of 12 experienced survivalists.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Olympic mountain man

tv survival is just that tv I call bs on 99% of all of it

10. chelloveck

I'm always afraid when I'm naked...my neighbours more so! :eek:

I believe it gets screened over here on pay TV and on free to air, though I have never bothered watching it....I find it too pixilating. Besides I hate "reality" TV with a passion.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The xl series is brutal. They are at day 21 and most of them have not eaten more than one meal. They have to go 40 days. They are all suffering from tick fever, lack of protein, lack of vitamins etc. The end of the last episode they have a gazelle caught in a snare and they racing to get to it before it gets away . What it shows however is the real life ineffectiveness of field expedient weapons to actually feed yourself. They should have set snares on the first day. Day temps over 100 degrees putrid water . Actual survival in harsh conditions. WE ARE SOFT . The human race is weak in this type of setting. This series really puts it in perspective as in how few items you really need. Like a small rifle, a knife and a pot, a way to make fire and a source of water.. I watched this guy make an atlatl and was rooting for him his attempts all fell short with no hits no kills nothing. The guy with the bow got one big Lizzard. That was cool. The truth is ? survival is not easy.

12. Olympic mountain man

what are your thoughts on the show alone? my dad is trying to get me to apply is says it would be easy money for me lol

13. Olympic mountain man

the first two seasons were done in a place that is just like where I live and when I was a kid I would take weeks at a time alone in the mountains working on my skills with a lot less then those people had

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Shooting and bushcraft.

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd like to go on either of them, and try my hand.

16. Olympic mountain man

they give way more then enough to stay alone and build a home in the wilderness for a life time I think it would be hard for me to go home because when a wilderness like that is my idea of paradise why not just stay

17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My only real concern would be being in a spot I could eat, and getting bored.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. AxesAreBetter
  4. DKR
  5. Motomom34
  6. wideym
  7. OldDude49
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Motomom34
  10. The_Prepared
  11. DKR
  12. Zimmy