FBI installs 1 billion facial recog system

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by CATO, Sep 8, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Sahweet ... accurate in picking out suspects from a pool of 1.6 million mug shots 92 percent of the time. The system was tested on a trial basis in the state of Michigan earlier this year,
    Look let's use Michigan, we pumped lotsa money into their auto industry. Let's put up cameras. Hell, they don't need mugshots. All of our drivers license and state ID cards are digitized photos anyway.

But Google has had face recognition out for nearly 2 years, facebook allow you to tag people. So, merge the databases.

Good luck hiding if you are even remotely social.
    I think the Hermits will win this round.

3. VisuTrac

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Changes Made in Red to reflect the real intent of the system .:eek:

6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I guess I don't quite see how tagged photos on FB relate to this. I tag people on photos I know they would like to see, not on photos that they're in. Accessing my tagged photos would leave the software thinking one of my brothers was either a chicken, a souped up riding mower, or a cucumber plant in a metal mop bucket.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Witchi, I suspect your level of consciousness is higher than some other FB users. All the same, FB has some vulnerabilities.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

And can be used to help you.....

9. VisuTrac

LOL, sheeple on FB tend to draw a nice square around a persons face, and tag a name to it. Shazam, it's in a database that a rectangle from Upper left pixel x,y to lower right pixel x1,y1 is an image of 'Seymor Butz', it's cataloged. And I'll lay dollars (basically cause they ain't worth much) that It's pretty easy for a gov't agency to glean that info.

Or I'm just paranoid.

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

In order for facial recognition software to work, it has to have a database to compare to. Metadata can be comprised of DOT photos, passport photos, corrections photos, military records, etc. The key thing is that you have to have a picture to compare to linked to identifiable information: either a name, or an event (e.g., this unknown suspect was seen ...).

Facebook has probably the largest database of photos linked not only to information but generally has all persons in the photo listed...even if they aren't on FB if the poster knows them.

This is the problem with Facebook....unless you're the govt., then, it's a great new source of metadata. Given that their stock prices keep floppin', maybe ol Zuckerberg would like a "bail-out" for a little open access (as if the NSA needed it).

ditch witch likes this.
  11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

No you're probably right. I didn't think of people doing that. The few times someone else has posted a pic with me and tagged me, I've immediately removed the tag. My usual FB profile pic is Beaker from the Muppets, heh. That or the evil jack-o-lanterns I carve up every year for Halloween.

TwoCrows and Quigley_Sharps like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7