FBI may be able to remotely turn on your smart phone mic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -06, Aug 3, 2013.

1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

What about I-phones ?

3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Do not know. I would not depend on privacy with any electronic com equipment of any kind.

Yard Dart and NotSoSneaky like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Android OS is Open Source, so it is easy for anyone to rummage thru the code, looking for Exploits. Apple holds their Code close..... but they could have been required, by the FISA Court, to build in a BackDoor, and since even acknowledging such an Order is a Felony, they couldn't tell their customers, even if that was the case... ....

Hammerhead and NotSoSneaky like this.
  5. Pop_45

Pop_45 Monkey

This is why I have a $15 cheap phone. [finger]

natshare and Mountainman like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Well, I would note this this is nothing new..

The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.
    The technique is called a "roving bug," and was approved by top U.S. Department of Justice officials for use against members of a New York organized crime family who were wary of conventional surveillance techniques such as tailing a suspect or wiretapping him.
    Nextel cell phones owned by two alleged mobsters, John Ardito and his attorney Peter Peluso, were used by the FBI to listen in on nearby conversations. The FBI views Ardito as one of the most powerful men in the Genovese family, a major part of the national Mafia.
    The surveillance technique came to light in an opinion published this week by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan. He ruled that the "roving bug" was legal because federal wiretapping law is broad enough to permit eavesdropping even of conversations that take place near a suspect's cell phone.

The original story came out in 2006. Pull the battery when not in use if it is a concern.

tulianr likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

CAN'T pull the battery on the new phones, it's built in. Can't just pop the battery door and out it falls. If you are worries about someone using it against you, leave it as home, or wrap it in a Faraday cage wrap. (I have seen them for sale) no signal, no problem.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

That is one of the reasons I will not get a smart phone. My old flip phone works fine and I don't need to have the smart phone features when I leave the house.

tulianr likes this.
  9. Tim_Z

Tim_Z Monkey+

It doesn't need to be a smart phone. All phones have microphones. They can be remotely controlled. That is, most likely, unless it is a early 2000's vintage. And those phones are operationally obsolete.

Tim

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

10. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Just remember anywhere there is electronics involved, you have NO privacy. If you need to discuss something sensitive, the old say holds true. "Let's keep this between you, me, and the fence post".. And just make sure those are the only hearing devices in earshot..

I like how it says FBI "may" be able to turn on the microphone. Hackers have been able to turn on webcams remotely for years, so I would figure the word "may" means yes.. Yes they can and do...

Think of the devices that have microphones.. Phones, laptops and desktops that have microphones plugged in, OnStar equipped vehicles, home phones, new TV's, and that's just the obvious ones. Now think of what devices track your location.. I just can't describe how warm and fuzzy it makes me feel that my new GMC truck is constantly sending out my GPS coordinates. But, if need be I know which wire to snip to make that stop [rockon]

11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

We may need to do a lot of "snipping" before things settle down or get over.

12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

While that may be true, I think they'd have a difficult time convincing my "dumb" phone to do anything, remotely. Bought it over 6 years ago, when it was still the Cingular network (now absorbed back into AT&T), and it's so dumb, if it could vote, it probably would have voted for Obama! ;)

Motorola C139

The added benefit being, since it's a prepaid phone, I spend, on average, about $8.33 per month to talk and (rarely) text. b::

BTPost and Mountainman like this.
  13. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

For the children...

Mountainman likes this.
  14. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7