FCC proposes to do away with GMRS License Fees

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, May 23, 2015.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

kellory likes this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Considering how few people realized a license was needed after ripping open the blister 2 pack of GMRS radios from Cabela's and how even fewer filed for the license, not a surprise, the FCC was pushing a rope.

Nice to see the ham vanity fees could go away, tho I got a pretty good call sign by chance.
    Thanks for the info.

AT

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Like anybody really filed out the forms for the GMRS license. biglaff

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

well, some of us did....

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Licenses. Slaves are made in such a way.

6. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

And all of the GMRS repeater owners are outraged, other than that.....

7. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

This is similar to what happened with CB radios decades ago. Citizens band became so popular the system went from 23 channels to 40 channels. Then came sideband and somewhere along the way licensing fees were cut 50% and then eliminated. All one "needed" to do was mail in the form. Few if any did so.

Call it civil disobedience by popular choice, this is what's happening with GMRS users. Now draw the parallel out a bit and take a look at immigration. maddd

Now consider "civil disobedience by popular choice" on a larger scale. [tongue]

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

If you liked that then you will really enjoy finding out what happened in Waco, Texas at the shoot out.

Media over did as usual and I am unhappy to say the LEOs made some major mistakes.

Eastland County Today

[​IMG]
    1 / 1
    [​IMG]
    This weeks edition in newstands now
    Wed, 05/20/2015 - 22:00Eastland1
    Subscribe online 24/7
    Subscribe today at eastlandcountytoday.com

New edition in newstands tonight

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I was known as KAKH4506 in the era of CB radios... OK so I was stupid to get a license.

10. BTPost

No, not "Stupid" .... Law Abiding, is what comes to mind..... Supporting the "Rule of Law"....

11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Just as I was stupid to get a GMRS license - but I usually stay within the bounds of the law. As much as I revile federal agencies, the FCC is actually necessary.
    Without regulation, imagine every bone head who thinks he's a radio guru transmitting over FM broadcast stations and stepping all over commercial aviation communication and navigation frequencies, for starters.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This only works when government operates within its prescribed Constitutional parameters and it is not a tyrannical, corporate oligarchy. If you were born prior to 1933, you can legitimately claim to have experienced a fragment of liberty and the republic we have lost. If you were not alive before this time, and you willingly supported any "law" which requires free sovereign citizens to register and be licensed, then your assertion is false.

16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256:
    The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of
    law constitutes the law of the land. The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and any
    statute, to be valid, must be In agreement. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law
    violating it to be valid; one must prevail. This is succinctly stated as follows:

The General rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law is
    in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality
    dates from the time of it's enactment and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.
    An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed.
    Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not
    been enacted.

Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principles follow that it imposes no duties,
    confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no
    protection, and justifies no acts per formed under it.....A void act cannot be legally consistent with
    a valid one. An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law. Indeed, insofar
    as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the lend, it is superseded thereby.

No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.

13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

No fees, but you still have to send in the paperwork? Or is it /can it be all done on line?

Also, I understand there are two fee sets,one regulatory and one Congressional, so the second fee still must be paid?

Found it - FCC has announced that (barring Congressional objections) the elimination of REGULATORY fees for GMRS (and ham vanity call signs) in 90 days. This would drop the GMRS license from $90 to $65 (the $65 APPLICATION fee is a Congressional mandate and would require action from the CONgress while REGULATORY fee changes only need a 90-day notice)

Yes?

thx

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    kellory likes this.
  14. BTPost

Yes.....

DKR likes this.
  15. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

yep, ill just wait till after to key up lol, I am not sending any more info than absolutely necessary this ultra high power "CB" multi side channel galaxy works pretty dang good too.

16. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

a number of years ago i sent in and got my "license" for the GMRS radios for my wife and I.

I have NO idea where that paper work is now, or if it even exists in this house anymore. oh well.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7