Fed arm twisting

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Minuteman, May 14, 2009.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

The news is reporting on the behind the scenes arm twisting to force the banks to take TARP money whether they wanted it or not. It seems that these gestapo tactics are prevalent and have been for some time.

I had a very interesting conversation last night. My mother has been heavily involved in state politics for years. I got invited last night to a friend of the family's home for a meet and greet with some state polticians, a couple of representatives and one state Senator, and a guy who is running for Governor. I had a chance to corner the state senator and ask him some questions. I usaually don't go to those things but I had been following this guy and went specifically to meet him. He sponsored the 10th amendment bill in our state and also an anti NAFTA bill that would stop it at our border and an anti NAU bill. I was asking him his thoughts on the new law in Montana and if he would support something like that in our state. He started telling me about the Real ID act, which he fought to block in our state. He told me that he had argued on the senate floor against it and when he got back to his office he got a visit from a Homeland Security official. This person told him that DHS wanted real ID and that basically they wouldn't be happy with anyone who opposed it. He said he was taken aback, he asked the guy "Are you threatening me?" The guy said that DHS wanted Real ID and that they were going to see to it that it was passed. The Senator told him "Well I'm going to see to it that it doesn't pass in my state! Now get the Hell out of my office!" He told me that he couldn't believe the strong arm tactics that they were using and that is what prompted him to sponser the 10th amendment legislation and he said that he would do everything he could to strenthen it and get the feds out of our state business.

He'll be getting my vote. But I can't beieve that in the greatest Republic in history that these kind of tactics go on, and go on unchallenged. Can you imagine what would happen if British officials had of tried to strong arm our founding fathers like that? Oh ,wait, they did!!

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Wouldn't it be interesting if: Every time that something like this happened to one of our representatives - rather than giving in - that they notified their constituents.

Couldn't that be considered part of the Transparency that our new administration talks about?

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Hey Minuteman, the politician you were talking to ... What State does he represent? If you don't mind my asking of course. Sounds like someone we should all be looking to to vote for.

4. Minuteman

I thought about saying who he is and promoting him but what he told me was in confidence in a private setting and I don't know if he would want it publicised. That's why I was so vaque in my description. I will be campaigning for him tho. I am going to put some of his campaign literature out on my table at the gun show this weekend.
    I became aware of him through my local Ron Paul group that is still active and promoting freedom oriented candidates. He gave a little talk last night and he outlined his criteria for deciding on how to vote on a bill.
    He said he has a checklist. 1st, is it constitutional, both US and state? Next is it needed? If so then can we afford it? And finally does it empower people( or just grow government)? If the answer is "no" to any of those then he votes against it.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ok, i understand Minuteman, but answer me this. Gun Show where?[dunno]

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

That is awesome. I wish he'd give lectures to other senators on how to do things!

7. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

May I strongly suggest that the honorable senator:
    1) get a reliable security firm to do regular sweeps of his home, office and telephone
    2) get a reliable mechanic to regularly check his car's brakes and steering
    3) buy and wear a bullet-proof vest

8. Minuteman

My thoughts too. Another reason I don't want to be too specific.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. DHS is seemingly acquiring some of the behaviors of the Gestapo or NKVD. Not good.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

The honorable senator should refrain from flying...Which Senator( congressman?) was killed a few yearsago( IIRC "wellstone"?) Wasn't he considered a thorn in somebodies side?
    No wonder all this crap gets pushed through.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7