Fencing Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Mar 1, 2016.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

Its your fault, you aren't supposed to refer to your chicken coops as bear lunch boxes, and you could at least put out a salt block for those poor critters eating your garden. Thank God here in NH only have deer, racoon, groundhogs, and weasels and darn squirrels that eat my sweet corn. Best program to protect an orchard from deer I have heard is a fence and a deer killing dog that has been pardoned to live inside the fence . Results may not be pretty, but the deer survivors do avoid the area.

pearlselby likes this.
  2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One of my neighbors has a large fenced garden. Somehow a deer got entangled in the fence. One said let's help it; the other said the H we are. :D

Wild animals do not appreciate human help.

3. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

One way would be to stack the 4' panels one above the other to make 8'. If you wanted to stick to 6', just cut some of the panels lengthwise 2' wide with a bolt cutter. Just a thought.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

First @UncleMorgan tries to get me to wash my mouth out with soap and now @kellory wants me to poop on the lawn. LOL! :):):):):) Geez Peas!!!!! I can see it now when the wife catches me out there doing my business, "What are you doing?!?!?" "kellory told me too!" LOL!!!!!

A dog truly is the best deterrent...and if the elk wander up this way we'll probably have to get one.

Ganado, Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Try a break wire and a buzzer or horn. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No sir!:eek:I said use dog hair and bury the other one....:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I'm stickin to my story! I ain't taking the rap for this. No way! "kellory told me to poop on the lawn, sweetie!" LOL!!!!!! :):):):)
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

We don't use electric fence to keep animals out, but to keep our animals off the fence, sometimes with multiple strands of electric wire, I prefer the aluminum wire. With the 4' wire that you have been gifted you could cut it into 2 strips of 2' and add that to the top, I don't do Elk, and the deer here will eventually bend non-climb horse fence down 6" where they want to cross the property. Electric fence will also keep the illegals out, although it is real easy to defeat.

Rancher

pearlselby and Motomom34 like this.
  9. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

That is totally amazing. I think the electric does have a hum. I think I remember my Dad telling me that.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Perhaps with the older ones, the newer ones pulse so if an animal, or wife touches the wire they won't continue to hold the wire and quivver. Also if there is a partial short, i.e. spark gap, there will be a snapping noise, the box also makes a clicking sound.

Rancher

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thanks azrancher!!!! I really enjoyed that video. I am glad they have made them safer. Thanks again!

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@azrancher
    You're exactly correct. The voltage switches on and off using a flyback transformers.

As we are adding a larger garden outside of the "dog" fence; I've been looking into building an electric fence.

Building Your Electric Fence - Grange Co-op
    https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/documents/pb1541.pdf

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My objective is to cover the largest area as cheaply as possible. I always need to remember that height is a must. Plus I need to make sure animals do not get trapped into the area. We had an a-hole put a 4 ft fence right across a game trail. I have seen fawns trapped on one side of the fence because they cannot get over. The person put the fence up to keep people out but it is cutting off the trail that animals have used for years.

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Got Side Cutters?

oldawg likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What? Wire cutters. Yes I do. A few pairs.

HK_User likes this.
  16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to master the art of cutting wire in the dark. ;);)

oldawg, HK_User and kellory like this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yep, you could cut and spread that wire in 1, 2 or 3 strand strips at various heights.

18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Quite true. As it will be have 5' of wire, I'll add a couple of feet of electric higher if required.

If the deer invade, I've asked for it as we feed them. About 50# or so of corn a month.

[​IMG]

kellory likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. hot diggity
  3. chelloveck
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. hot diggity
  8. Dont
  9. oil pan 4
  10. GrayGhost