Fiction Books

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Motomom34, May 3, 2014.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

For science fiction/fantasy/space opera try L. E Modesitt, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, Our own Chris Nuttall, David Drake, and Travis "Doc" Taylor

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

On Strike until our own beloved Ditch Witch finishes Prairie Dog Town.......

oldawg, Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I am also a big Sherlock Holmes fan. Bought the entire collection on Kindle with some of my Amazon Christmas money. Cost me an entire 99cents ;)

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Whoa there! Settle down young lady. Money doesn't grow on trees you know.

I ended up doing the sane thing because a number of the actual stories are free... but not all of them. We have them in hardback as well. Good stuff.

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Yeah I got all the free ones, but I knew there were some missing, because I remembered other stories that I didn't have(like Disappearance of Lady Carfax, Lion's Mane, Dying Detective, etc). Also bought myself 2lbs of Smarties candies because I like to snack on something while I read, and if it's Sherlock Holmes I'm reading, I should be having Smarties :)

DarkLight and kellory like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Same. It's sad Robert Jordan died before he could finish the Wheel of Time novels, but he fully intended on stretching them out until he died. I kind of have mixed emotions on this, because on one hand an author should have a responsibility not to leave unfinished work because he wants to keep the ball rolling, so to speak, but it's not like he knew when he was gonna kick the bucket, either. *Thanks to Darklight, I now have the final three part conclusion to this series by Brandon Sanderson*

Another author along the same genre I enjoy reading is Terry Goodkind (the Sword of Truth series). His words are powerful, the characters are finely developed, and there is plenty of excitement with a fantastic story line.

I also enjoyed the Dragonlance novels by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, in particular the Dragons of Autumn Twilight saga. Also, the Death Gate Chronicle series is pretty cool, among my favorites. Haplo is a cool character.

kellory likes this.
  8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Brokor - which last 4 wheel of time books are you referring to? Brandon Sanderson did a great job in my opinion of wrapping up the series with the help of Jordan's widow. I was sceptical but I'm really glad I went ahead and read the books by Sanderson.

Brokor likes this.
  9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Ahhh...McCaffrey. She was the favorite of my wife and I also really enjoyed her books. For us the best were the Dragonriders of Pern series and I also enjoyed the Crystal Singer and PartnerShip series'.

I was pretty sure I recommended Tom Sherry's books at some point in this forum, but don't see it so I must be thinking of somewhere else. He wrote a quite enjoyable PAW trilogy; Deep Winter, Shatter and Remnant that takes place in the Spokane Valley. He was working on a 4th from a different perspective on the same events last I heard but I lost track of him probably 4-5 years ago. The trilogy is available on Kindle from Amazon.

A couple of other PAW series' I have enjoyed on Kindle are the Distant Eden series by Lloyd Tackitt and the Colter Family Saga by Joel Baker.

As I was looking in my Kindle for author names, I was struck by how crazy many PAW stories I have.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Lol. I had a local artist paint the dragons on my cycle.

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Just finished reading The End by G. Michael Hopf. It was okay. Very much like all the other SHTF novels that I have read. I was disappointed that in order to know the whole story you have to buy a series of books. For someone who does know what could happen and how fast society would breakdown, this is a good novel for them. This is a boiled down version of Lights Out with a soldier side story sprinkled in.

The End: A Postapocalyptic Novel (The New World Series): G. Michael Hopf: 9780142181492: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I just checked out more Anne McCaffrey books from the library's kindle selection. The final Crystal Singer book, plus some in the Acorna series(#2, and 5-7).

Ganado and kellory like this.
  13. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Monkey+++

Hands down favorite is Neal Stephenson. "Cryptonomicon" being on of the few books I've ever reread.

Robert Heinlein

H. Beam Piper

Later Louis lamour (walking drum, jubal sackett, last of the breed, etc)

Bernard Cornwell is amazing at historical fiction

Wilbur Smith

Jack Whyte's "Eagle's Brood/ Camulod" series explains the Arthurian
    Legend in plausible terms. (Eg. The steel for Excalibur was smelted from a meteorite and thus 'came out of a stone's...)

Ganado likes this.
  14. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Monkey+++

Actually the movie/screen play came first. Stanley Kubrick contacted Clarke about the movie project. The book came out after.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7