Gear Review Fill r Rite series 5200 model FR152

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

upload_2018-9-12_19-17-51. upload_2018-9-12_19-18-25. upload_2018-9-12_19-34-40.

We all store preps but I would like to review some tools to help access our preps

Today I found out that my delivery of 100 gallons of #2 off road farm diesel would not be delivered( I will be changing my jobber even though we have a 30 year history...) with a weeks notice I expected to have my fuel when I needed it...
    Well fortunately I do have some diesel fuel preps... Stored in 55 gallon barrels (Not as much as I want but enough to last a while...

The question was how to transfer diesel from a 55 gallon drum to a 280 gallon generator tank. I had two options:
    1. remove an old rotary pump
    upload_2018-9-12_19-45-14.
    Or
    2. Break out my pump I had as a prep.... a Fill r Rite series 5200 # FR152

I chose the latter. Why might you ask? well being a little long in the tooth not to mention adverse to extremely labor intensive work (I can hear @Sapper John commenting on my being in the Air Force):)
    The older rotary pump takes 100 revolutions to pump 10 gallons...

so I decided to try the new pump.

Out of the box it was well built, had all of the pieces and surprise, surprise... also had a roll of Teflon tape unexpected but a reminder that even though you have the pump you may need extras to make sure it will work.
    parts consisted of:
    the pump head
    telescoping tube
    8 ft hose
    and fuel nozzle

Assembly went quickly and easily all part fit well...next issue I needed a Bung wrench to open the barrel... (Damn I knew I missed something...) a few quick phone calls and you know it no bung wrenches were to be had... so a little magikneefufu and using two large screw drives crossed and presto I could open the Tight Seal bung...

Installation in the drum went without a hitch and I started pumping.... two drums and 110 gallons later a tired witch Doctor went back to his practice...

I highly recommend the FR152 hand pump, the handle was comfortable and easy to pump. assembly was easy and includes everything needed to assemble the pump. The cost at $215 was well worth the money with similarly priced pumps moving 10 gallons for the same amount of effort.

Lessons learned...
    1. Everything you need my not be included (The dad burned Bung Wrench)
    2. A little Monkey engineering may be necessary
    3. find out how much effort your means of accessing your preps may take
    4. Regardless of how many years you may have been a customer some folks will chase the short term $$'s instead of long term $$$

and Yes @Brokor I'm in....;)

Dunerunner, 3M-TA3, Brokor and 5 others like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

When we began using poly 55 gallon (208 liters) drums for general purposes around the farm, the first thing that came to mind was to purchase a bung wrench. It paid for itself the first time I used it.

One thing that may catch me yet, is not having enough available fuel storage on hand, or a proper pump to transfer it. Fortunately, though, our current electrical needs are amply provided by 2 - Honda EU20i Inverter Generators. Typically, though, we only require the services of one generator at a time. Luckily for me, they sip petrol. Still, I really do need to work on getting more stable fuel storage, here.

Ironically, we are running on generator power as I type this.

Great review. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Use similar pump to move fuel oil and diesel. Mine is a rotary vane type rather than a diaphragm type. Fuel tank is gravity feed to hose so seldom use pump. Last time I went to use it, it wouldn't work. It had set long enough for the vanes to freeze up. Had to take apart, clean, lube, and put back together. In this case seals and gaskets were ok for reuse, but if SHTF, it would have not been there for use right away, and if a specialized seal, vane, or spring was needed, it would have been useless.
    I find best use of this type pump for me is to clean bottom fuel out of 275 gallon tanks. Fuel drain outlets are a few inches off bottom for a very good reason, and pumping 5 or so gallons from very bottom of tank, will give you some very bad fuel and gunk. Good for tractor, genset, or furnace, etc, but it can do a number on the hand pump.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Some things do not store well as these barrel pumps are showing. The old story of one is none has been proven over and over, and the murph rules the timing. You may not need a pump if you have another scheme, but you need spares, at least. My experience is limited but if you use the vane type pumps fairly frequently, they last forever. The diaphragm types suffer from sticky check valves if not used often, and split diaphragms in use. Not something to get in a swivet over, but points toward needing spares in storage.

And, as @duane points out, do NOT suck the bottom out of the tank if you are planning to use the fuel for anything sensitive to crud. With tongue somewhat in cheek, it not advised to use the same pump for water and fuels ---

5. Witch Doctor 01

Unless you want your coffee tasting like a navy chiefs coffee....:cautious:

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. ghrit

hehehe. Yep, that too. Now, if I was wanting either of those pump types, I'd go with diaphragm for water service and vane type for almost anything else. The diaphragm type is easier to clean; the vane type wants a bit of lubricity in the pumped fluid. Water ain't got a whole lot of that, and cleaning the vane slots has to be a pia of the first degree.

Zimmy, Dunerunner, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

With my limited physical capabilities at the moment I need something that would move more fuel with less effort... I still have two vane types but it takes more effort to move the fuel and I just can't do that yet...

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'm lazy and use an electric 12 volt diesel fuel pump for diesel and kerosene .
    A rotary pump for oil .
    and a water pump for water, and in some systems use air pressure to move water.
    Gasoline I siphon or gravity feed. And on occasion an automotive 12 volt electric fuel pump.

A suggestion on your diaphragm pump .
    Seeing that it rocks back and forth with the pumping action, I strongly recommend a brace from the top of the pump to the other side of the barrel rim reducing the stress on the bung threads and metal fatigue.

9. Witch Doctor 01

Good Thought... I'll see what I can rig up next time...

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. That is an excellent observation. One that slipped right by me.

11. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  12. ghrit

Zimmy likes this.
  13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

A glue stick works wonders for adhesion

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7