Film: Peter Jackson's 'They Shall Not Grow Old'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I just watched this yesterday and BING! BANG BOOM! And, all I could say the entire viewing was "WOW!" Totally amazing! Extremely well done and one can tell it was a labor of love. How it was made is another amazing story in itself. This has Bandit's highest recommendation for Military History buffs, which I am one, hopelessly addicted...

Overview: It is a documentary about World War One, 'The War to End All Wars" where it is different is how it was made. They took real archived WW1 films digitized them, upgraded them, colored them and then added sound. They used lip readers to read the lips of the soldiers off the old films and what they were saying then had present day soldiers from the same region/area of England (same dialect) dubbed in the same words, synced it together and...Wow! You got an amazing documentary that reaches into the past beyond the grave. Loads of interviews with the old sweats and plain 'over-the-top' soldiers not your royalty, politicians or higher echelons...just plain, day-to-day real history, and this is where it is different from the thousands of other WW1 documentaries in that it is totally devoted to the plain soldier, what he ate, drank, shot, even how he relieved himself not to the politics or the cause or the outcome. It truly is a window looking into the past.

Director: Peter Jackson
    Producer: Peter Jackson
    Film: 'They Shall Not Grow Old'
    Genre: Documentary, WW1
    IMDB rating: 8.4

Blu-Ray version
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R76N8NV/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Moderators, I regret that I am not sure this is the correct location for this post. I have no excuse and will report to the Whipping Post for flogging upon command.

GOG, Dunerunner, Meat and 5 others like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No issues here.... This is just fine...

Meat likes this.
  3. When I saw this film, I reached the same conclusion.

Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Fricking OUTSTANDING! I'm a YUGE fan of Peter Jackson's works and this really took things to a whole 'nother level! WOW!
    I love the way it was all blended and made to make sence and I love the real look back at it in all it's grit! All I can say is WOW!

Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Did you see their teeth? I would bet 90% had rotten teeth which you couldn't see in the old archaic film. Dental hygiene has come a long way in 100 years. LOL!

Meat and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

First I’ve heard of it but Ima watch it. Thanks. :D

Bandit99 likes this.
  7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thank you.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7