Filson Journeyman Backpack

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I thought I had posted a review of this before, but my search did not turn anything up. In any event, I have had it for a couple of years now, so will review it here.

It is my non-tactical grey man pack that I have used for about everything during that time. Hiking, beach, travel, work, tai chi…

The waxed canvas keeps stuff inside protected and dry. It is rugged. I have had all kinds of stuff scuff it. No problem.

Positives

Simple
    Non-tactical
    Grey man
    Has a laptop/water bladder sleeve
    Versatile
    Tough
    Gets better with age
    Beat it up, and the patina adds character

Negatives

Simple
    Non-tactical
    Expensive
    Minimal organization
    The expansion snaps on the front pocket unsnap easily
    The inner pockets are not too stiff, so it can crumple
    At the beach, in the hot sun, fine sand will stick to the waxed canvas

Overall, I have already gotten my money’s worth using it often and for many things. And the dogs have blessed it with their drool. All that and still suitable to take to work. I did order a nutsac satchel to use for work.

snake6264, 3M-TA3, Alanaana and 2 others like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Tell me about your packs!

Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  3. survivistal

survivistal Monkey

My pack is 100% USA made. Can't say that for the stuff that's in it though. I added a hill people gear capture flap to my MysteryRanch ASAP, and a smaller pouch to that. My favorite I think is my mystery ranch 5pocket with sml laptop slot in manatee (grey/bluish). It's just a cool pack and my smallest. I added a waist belt to it. Sorry no pics

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Dunerunner, Hanzo and BTPost like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Filson has always been know for top quality gear, at an ultra premium price, which turns a awful lot of folks off of their stuff! I have a "Hunting Harness" from them, basically its suspenders with low and mid pockets on the front and armored duck back shoulders, I suspect it's a hybrid of an old logging riggers/fellers harness! It's super high quality, but new, cost near $400.00!

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Kind of put me off too. But I figured if I used it, the per use cost will be small. And it should last a really long time. My per use cost is maybe $1 by now and decreasing. Same rationale for my Breitling. Expensive, but it's been going for close to 20 years, so the per use cost is pennies.

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm the same way with expensive watches, my Heuer Autavia was pretty spendy, but has lasted all these years, and took abuses I didn't think it would survive! Just had it tuned and the chrystals replaced , which cost more then most "Normal" wrist watches, but having had it this long, it was still worth it!

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Splurged for their hat in 2000 for my fishing hat. Called them in 2016 and asked what I needed to clean it as it was really funky beyond what the washing machine would clean. The nice lady said send it back, and in about two weeks they sent me a new one, no charge. Great company even if a little spendy.

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7