Financing a bug out retreat

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by fl4848, Nov 20, 2022.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I have some friends in rural VT that are pretty darn conservative. Same goes for rural NH. Then again you might want to get the heck out of MA while you still can.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like something along these lines.The Basin

fl4848 likes this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

In some cases you may find that the owners have passed away and the land now belongs to their heirs, who have no interest in it.

Finally got my reply to VisuTrac's post unscrewed up.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    fl4848, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There are still lots of places in the world where you can just disappear, especially if you want to do so and are prepared to do so! Half of the world's 8 billion people live in or near urban areas, and that % is growing. A relatively small number move to the country, but far larger numbers move to the urban areas in search of work or the "good life":LOL:. For some it might be the "good life", but not for me! There is plenty of marginal land where there is NOBODY around for miles and miles. There are swamps, deserts, mountains, forests, islands, etc. Life in these remote areas would be difficult, harsh, dangerous, lonely and not for everyone. As an example, check out the Lykov Family of Old Believers in Russia. Granted a few extra preps and skills would have made their lives soooo much easier, but when you have to leave in the middle of the night with only your family and what you can carry, they did OK!

Gator 45/70, fl4848 and CraftyMofo like this.
  5. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I was eyeing Arizona. How is the illegal problem down there?

I was also looking at New Mexico. I was considering the Taos area. But NM is a blue state, unfortunately.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I had looked at VT for a little while. I think they call it the Northern Kingdom up at the top of VT which is an island of red in an otherwise blue state.

I am more concerned about the gov't than the local people. I think there's plans for round-ups for the next pandemic, which may be coming soon, by the sounds of it. Not sure how you fly under the radar for that. Certainly, it doesn't hurt to be further from the cities, but they could still come out to rural areas looking for folks.

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Oh yeah I could see the, trying to have camps. Remember fauci idolized china and their pandemic response.

Gator 45/70 and fl4848 like this.
  8. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

That's a cool story.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  10. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I think this is good advice. When I found my BOL candidate, I sat down with the owner and got a feel for what he was looking for as far as terms. We put together a land contract that appealed to what he wanted (x$ per acre), and adjusted the interest to a rate much better than a bank…we then agreed on a length of contract and had the paperwork drawn up.
    As a sign of good faith, I offered to split the costs of the legal work, and the administration of the contract by a local bank.

Gator 45/70, VisuTrac and fl4848 like this.
  11. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Yep, the Jews that survived seemed to be the ones who were smart enough to get out early and move to the country. The Nazis couldn't get to every little old country cabin, and if they did, they could hide with some advanced warning.

It would be a big mental adaptation for me. I live in the suburbs between Boston and Worcester. To live out in Montana or someplace like that would take some getting used to. I could do it, I'm sure. But there would be a culture shock for a little while.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought about purchasing property like that. That's an interesting way to go.

Yes, Pennsylvania might be a consideration. I haven't looked too much into PA, but it is mostly a red state with the exception of Philly. What happened to Oz in that state was a sin.

The problem with this day-in-age is that going gray might be difficult with your digital footprint. I can tell Amazon has me pegged as a patriot and Trump supporter because every time I log in, they're trying to sell me survival food, and I've never purchased survival food from Amazon. My credit card must have communicated to Amazon what kind of person they think I am. I'm sure they profiled me, and that electronic profile follows you wherever you go. I guess it couldn't follow me to a barge in the LA swamp... as long as I didn't take my cell phone with me. :-D

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Plenty of things to eat in the swamp or to pick up a little pocket change.
    crawfish
    fish
    turtles
    gator tail plus hides
    deer
    squirrel's
    bobcat
    ducks
    rails
    gallinule's
    nutria
    muskrat
    freshwater crabs
    Even Spanish moss can be sold or traded
    Lots of edible plants and roots
    Snakes can be sold to research facility's
    Tourists love paying you to drive them around in a boat.
    Tour guide cause plenty have gone in only to never return?

VisuTrac likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7