Finding a mentor

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by BailyTheFox, Nov 13, 2015.

1. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

I'll wright down that quote, very wise that one. What is inside is what matters I know, problems always follow you wherever you go. Problem is that my surroundings just feel so constraining when things have been so tough. I've applied to over a dozen different places and multiple positions in many of those, and only one has called me back after the two plus weeks since I started doing so.

I'll sound like a hippy when I say this, and I'm not too fond of those but part of the urge is for me to "find myself". I think to make the best of my life is to find a way out of here, but the question is when will it be too late? I plan to save up my money so I can buy land somewhere I'll be happy and left alone, but who knows how long that will take? What if the shit hits the fan while I try to do this? I feel like if I stay as I am that I will end up tieing myself down and just end up saying "it sucks, but it's good enough". I tire of that attitude in myself and everyone around me.

GOG likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Non-illegitimi carborundum

Yard Dart, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Get a grip.

Wake up each morning and count your blessings, go from there and make your own way in the world.

Stay away from bad folks aka those who wish to only use you.

Get an education, be it formal or in the trades. You cannot expect to have a good paying job unless you have special skills.

List the things you like and the things you are good at. Go from there and expand on those.

Mentor? `What exactly do you expect and what will you exchange to someone who will spend their precious time.

Do not expect to just find friends, friends must be cultivated, usually from/by the test of fire and like experiences.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It's never too late to start, right up until they pull the turf blanket over you, Nor is it possible to make one gigantic leap into the perfect place. Patience and diligence, meh sohn, will overcome. Sometimes fate catches you, sometimes you can hold it off. But in the end, good enough will have to do.

chelloveck, Ganado and HK_User like this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Finding, and understanding oneself can be a life long project: and yet, still not be realised by the end of it. It is the existential dilemma that all lucid human beings face. We all try and deal with it as best we can. Some are better at it than others. All I can say is, dealing with it is work in progress that stops when you stop.

The Search: The Existential Dilemma of the Human Being, Part I

The Search: The Existential Dilemma of the Human Being, Part II

GOG and Ganado like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

BS^^^
    My stance is, If some other SOB has done this, Then so can I.

Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Don't get hung up on all the apocalyptic nonsense. What are the main threats in your area? Earthquake, flood, nuclear facilities, tornadoes, etc. Those are more likely than the apocalypse. If you prepare for natural disasters you'll be pretty well set for most eventualities. Take care of the basics; food, water, shelter, first aid and defense. Get those dialed in and you'll be ready for most problems. A low profile and opsec are critical.

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

If you can successfully bushcraft, you can handle most of the stuff that actually does go wrong.

GOG likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Good attitude to take. But there may need to be an addendum to that... Most likely I can do it, with the appropriate training and experience... Take brain surgery, for example. I am certain I could if I were willing to do what it takes to learn that skill. But I am not willing to.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Believe me, I know how lucky I am. This is just me trying to find my way, I'm here because you guys have knowledge and experiances that most people think of as fantasy, things from only daydreams and stories. It is almost impossible for one to break away from things if they have no one to teach them about how to get there or at least where to start. I have also always been cautious of people, I do not give my trust and my friendship easily. Somehow my view of people and the world has always been negative even when I was little, so I've always been wary and rather cynical.
    The point of this thread was also to vent my frustration and lack of understanding on how to find a way to learn the skills I need from someone. Where I am, I'm on a damn island surrounded by people who think me some kind of fucking freak. Even the hunters I encountered in my short time in college were jocks who looked at me like I grew a second head when I asked them about hunting, taxidermy, trapping etc.

Yard Dart, Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  11. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Yeah, I'm only 19 and I've been internally freaking out about all this for a few years already. It's hard to keep a level head but I've been getting better. I don't care about all the little details, it's impossible to know everything. My goal is to just be able to reach my potential and understand myself so that I can carve my own peice of happiness out of all this.

Yard Dart, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  12. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

I'm not worried about the end times or an apocalypse. I worry about when I look at the people around me and see how dependent we are on each other. My distrust on this dependency is what makes me wary and wonder about when it may be "too late". I see the noose get tighter and tighter around our necks every year and it makes me want to dig myself a fox hole and befriend a pack of mutant man eating hyenas. I know this is somewhat irrational, but the fear mongering news and my own ever present paranoia doesn't help things.

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Sounds like a country person stuck in a city. It is a perfectly natural feeling, and completely overwhelming at times. I feel you on that one.

14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

As we all are trying to do...each in our own ways. Chin up, and keep soldiering on! :) (y)

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Interesting part is, I don't live in a city. I live in a very small town but am still surrounded by houses (though with real yards) and still feel claustrophobic. I hate any man made noise the most for sure.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Where I'm from, if you can see your neighbor without binoculars, you live in the city. Haha.

Personal health is a tricky subject to deal with. Hard to know when to give what advice to who, and when it is actually applicable. It's a field with nothing but nuances to it. I would have to say that you have to do what it best for your mental health. Without knowing all of the ins and outs of your situation, the best I can say after that is best wishes. I've had at least a taste of what you are feeling, and it's hard row to hoe.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

I wish I could be so remote, that would be... Fricken amazing to say the least, and thanks for the support friend.

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Not a prob. Wish we could do more.

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

GOG, Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  20. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Thanks very much friend, I'll take a look at it.

GOG and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7