Fire auto-feeder?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by CATO, Nov 10, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

This is not mine. I saw somewhere else and thought someone might like to try it out.

I guess we've all seen the Les Stroud videos where some of his coldest nights were when his fire went out because he fell asleep. This kind of thing might solve the problem.

So, try it out and report back.

**If you haven't tried it out and have an opinion, how about just keeping it to yourself. It would be nice if SM got back to "knowledge sharing based on actual experience" instead of "opinion-as-fact op-eds."

auto_logger.

Ganado, 3M-TA3, Georgia_Boy and 4 others like this.
  2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I was gonna say nice post but that would be an opinion, so I'll keep that to myself. Never go hostile on first post.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

@CATO , that looks like a really great idea. I've seen a system that feeds a large single log. This looks a lot better. I think I'll try to replicate this. Thanks for posting this!

Ganado and CATO like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Interesting set up. It probably works better with hardwood than softwood logs. Orientation relative to prevailing wind direction may affect burn and smoke direction.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

'WAY cool! I'll bet a person could set a grill across the logs...

6. chelloveck

Far be it for chello ever to voice an opinion, but.... as an auto loading fire contraption, it is probably a case of YMMV considerably!

A stack of softwood logs will burn hot, fast and with much flame...pre-heating the more elevated wood to ignition point...and whoompa!...there is likely to be a stack fire. The saw logs need to be of large diameter. A bunch of skinny trash wood is a recipe for a bonfire. Hardwood will burn slower, produce somewhat less flame and provided that there are no projections, should progressively fall towards the centre of the fire. If trying the concept out...the wood comprising the skids should be unseasoned green wood. If the fire is burning as slowly as pictured, then it "should" work as conceived. Oh...and have some fire fighting equipment....just in case. YMMVC

CATO, oldawg and kellory like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Cool idea! We used to get a fire started and once it got some nice coals just start feeding the end of a log into it using rocks for support It would burn for quite a while without adjustment and no need to cut or split.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. chelloveck

Pushing the ends of logs closer to the centre of the fire occasionally works just as well as constructing a rube Goldberg contraption to progressively feed the fire... but whatever floats one's boat I guess. A more permanent, and less combustable installation of the rube Goldberg option might be made by using steel star pickets. Cross bracing might add considerably to the log auto feeder.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Note to all: This thread is locked pending some off line issues. Note also that some posts have been removed from public view for the same reason, irrelevant to the OP.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Illini Warrior
  2. DKR
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Ganado
  5. Merkun
  6. DuxDawg
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Jsharp865
  11. DKR