Fire Piston: The pen sized version

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Aug 22, 2010.

1. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Seals Info--Thanks!

GHRIT,

Thanks for the info!

Seals would make a big difference.

I agree that the materials do make a difference. So, wood will not be as long-lived as metal.

I recall seeing that someone had gotten excited about seeing the reaction within the chamber and that they had constructed a clear plexiglass cylinder. However, the photos of that cylinder, after creating multiple coals was definitely degraded. It kind of seemed like a self destruction process.

What material(s) is your fire piston made from?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Had one of brass a couple years back. Dunno what happened to it, there have been three moves between then and now. One of these days ---.

3. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Pressure Relief Valve?

Was it one of the models with a pressure relief valve? I like the idea of that; seems to make a lot of sense.

4. ghrit

Less fancy, the butt end unscrewed to relieve pressure. (I think it made fabrication easier, no blind holes to drill.)

5. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Alternative Solution

Although it is obvious when you share it, I had not considered that the butt of a fire piston may unscrew to accomplish the same kind of pressure relief that a side valve would get done.

When I do make a purchase of a fire piston, I will be getting one that either has a pressure relief valve or that butt end that screws off.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Shakeyhands

Shakeyhands Monkey+

seems to me that it would be pretty easy to make yourself (or have a friend if you don't have the tools) Pretty simple desgn really. without rubber for replacment o rings, I wonder what else you could use.

7. ghrit

Several wraps of oiled or greased cotton string comes to mind. HEAVY oil, so it won't ignite as a diesel engine does.

8. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

9. JaxShooter

JaxShooter Monkey+

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

11. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Your Top Fire Starter

Brokor,

You are the first person I have read about that is claiming a fire piston as their primary "go to" fire starter.

As for myself, I have little exposure to fire pistons, so they are a bit of an exotic fire starter solution just yet, for me.

I do like the ready portability of the pen-sized fire pistons. But I'll need to have some hands-on experience before I can make any assessment about them being a primary solution.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, I use a blastmatch, firesteel, matches, and a lighter far more than a fire piston/coco-bolo. I can only recommend the fire piston as a long-term solution, and practicing with one is always a great idea. ;)

13. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

What problems have you had? I can light a piece of cardboard with mine

1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Bishop
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 17, 2023, 3 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  5. chelloveck
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Illini Warrior