Fire place heat exchanger

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by oil pan 4, Nov 3, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have a little wood stove with damper going in the fire place now.
    Burning 100,000 btu per hour of wood in the fire place to heat one room sucks.

hot diggity likes this.
  2. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

Since it's an old thread you might not see the question, but is any sort of pump involved, or does the heat itself drive the circulation? Is it a closed system, or do you also use it for heated water?

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I bought one of those fans that run on the heat differential . they work to some degree but not as efficiently as a computer fan .
    I have both blowing air from my wood stove heating my 3 bedroom home.
    There is a dog leg in my stove pipe design making the system more efficient . I do it in every instillation .
    Having built fire places for a living, grown up with them all my life, I much prefer the wood cook stove. More useful ,more efficient.
    We installed heailators fire place inserts made of boiler plate and air ducts built in . but though they were better then a plain fire place ,still not as effective as a wood stove ,IMO.
    Pipes and blowers are common and useful tools in improving efficiency. cleaning around them is not so much fun if you require a clean fire place . I personally like a good ash bed and the aroma of camping in the house.
    It is too bad that the damper in a fire place does not work the same as a wood stove. that really makes a big difference too.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Building a rocket heater is on my list of projects. Still scrounging materials . I keep trying to get to it before winter , and then all of a sudden , fall and winter is in full swing.

chelloveck likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. Prepper12
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. DKR
  6. TnAndy
  7. Dunerunner
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Southbound