Fire Starters- flint and steel

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bear in mind that once the coating is gone, it's gone. You may want to replace it with something if you hang out in moist areas. Clear nail polish maybe?

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Ura-Ki "...and even better if you have a round of tracer handy."
    Let me show my ignorance here, can one even buy tracer ammo as a civilian?

@MountainMariner "...haven’t seen them for less than $70.00, sorry."
    Well, it is Christmas and I have been a very good boy (sort of, kind of,...well, sometimes...) and they would fit nicely in my stocking. :) And, I honestly haven't had the best of luck with magnesium bars and fero-rods, seems I always get the Chinese crap no matter what I pay, so if this is the quality it seems I would never have to purchase another. Thanks! I honestly never heard of them before.

EDIT: MM, I think I will pick up one of the Holland Lighting Strikers but which is the question, the Standard or the Mini? The description really doesn't say much except Mini is physically smaller.I can only get one as been purchasing a lot of stuff lately...so your recommendation? Does one give more lights than the other? Or, is there room to put some cotton balls in Standard tube?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Rather than clear nail polish that has solvents, almost any handy paint will do. That said, since reactions may happen, just a tiny bit to try will be prudent.

ghrit likes this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

No need. Here in muggy Florida I've never had any trouble with corrosion. If it forms, scrape it away as you would any other coating. No need to overthink this.

Motomom34 and ghrit like this.
  5. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Depends where your going to keep it. If a pocket is the place get the mini. The standard will fit in any pocket but is noticeably larger. Also the mini holds exactly half the amount of tinder as the standard does. It also has a shorter fero rod so less sparks. Even then the mini still throws a blast of sparks that will ignite the tinder very easily.

Bandit99 likes this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Like a end off of a hack saw blade it will help with the sparks

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I used to start all my fires in the outside fireplace with a ferro rod and the spine of my knife as a striker. Dryer lint was the only tinder I needed, and there was always plenty of it. Then I went back to traditional stone, with hunks broken off the big flint stone in the rock garden. (It's from Dixie Gunworks. Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies. There are no natural stones bigger than an egg here on the beach.)
    I prefer the traditional char-cloth and stone fire making challenge.

Shooting old English flintlocks provides a good supply of pocket size flints. When I've become frustrated with them or just worn them out, I try to recycle them, or give them away. I was surprised to have a pretty young woman walk up to me and show me one of the old worn out flints I'd given her when she was a curious little girl. Some stones have lasting impact.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  8. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

I’ll receive all sorts of flak for this but I have never understood multiple fire starters for emergency situations. To be more specific, short term emergencies (max three days). I’m an avid outdoorsman and for years the number one rated outdoor gear item has been a Bic Lighter. The comment has always been, “what if it’s broken, or out of fuel.” My answer has always been carry another Bic. Instead I see people with entire kits of sparkers, matches, Ferrocerium rods, flares, etc. Second mention is weatherproof, “what if it gets wet.” Obviously they haven’t used these lighters often because a flick and deep breath brings it back to life. But if you’re still concerned, there’s no shortage of plastic bags or lighter covers like that of exotac. Now, having said all that, I have used multiple tools of making fire but I always find myself shaking my head as it’s hard to beat a good solid lighter. Hoping I can receive some positive feedback on the subject. I like to be prepared but I have never found a legit reason to justify utilizing above mentioned methods of fire for short term emergencies.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Allegedly a Bic lighter will still start a fire even if it is empty. Creek Stewart had a show that had people starting fires with empty lighters. Even if it is empty, it still sparks. I have wanted to try this but I lose lighters quite easily. I have heard to utilize the modern conveniences while you have them but have skills to make a fire when those conveniences are gone. I spoke to a guy that suggested I learn how to identify rocks and learn to make a fire that way.

Fatum1965 likes this.
  10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I got several of these Front Range Survival but now see that the item is unavailable and they don't know when it will become available again. Too bad, since they were really nice.

11. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

I really like this answer. I agree with sparking rocks or rubbing sticks just in case you lose everything but for my packing list I’ll definitey stick with the two lighters. I really appreciated that answer and out of all I’ve ever received that was truly the first that was reasonable/logical.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Make one for yourself - here's how

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00368.JPG Our fantastic @Bear made this "fire" steel. Yes, it is awesome.
    DSC00367.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG

It takes a little practice, but with some char cloth it's easier to catch a spark.

DarkLight, BTPost and Motomom34 like this.
  14. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Agreed. I have a large and a small @Bear flint and steel set and they are awesome.

Brokor and BTPost like this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Me THREE....

Brokor likes this.
  1. Bishop
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 17, 2023, 3 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Merkun
  5. Bishop