Firearms and all it entails on a budget

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Jul 16, 2015.

1. jlutzcurtis

jlutzcurtis Monkey

I enjoyed reading the article provided. It clearly mentioned some excellent tips to purchase a firearm with a tight budget. I highly like this post. Most importantly I was planning to buy a firearm and I've limited budget. So looking forward to use the idea I've learned from the article.

GOG, 3M-TA3, Tully Mars and 1 other person like this.
  2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

These were on sale for $599 in the Portland area, not long ago.

s&w, s&w 40 s&w m&p, .40 s&w, s&w 9mm, s&w 500, smith and wesson, smith & wesson, handgun, rifle, tactical, pistol, revolver, firearm, smith-wesson.com, 1911, gunbroker, m&p 15, ar 15
    [​IMG]

S&W M&P15 SPORT II 5.56 16" CHROME LINED BARREL 10202 (in-store pickup only)
    Price: $649.99
    [​IMG]
    SKU: SW10202

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I do apologize,

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    kellory and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Since I started reloading shotgun shells I have also started casting my own shot and slugs. Casting my own handgun bullets is next on my list.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Yes it can actually. It takes a bit more work, but in a SHTF world it is very doable.
    Warning: Be sure and use plenty of lube on steel cases, even with carbide dies. Expect a much shorter case life esp with the rifle cases.

TULA PRIMER LARGE RIFLE 7.62x39 BERDAN

Georgia_Boy and kellory like this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Removing Berdan primers is not as easy as removing boxer primers. RCBS makes a tool; however, I've never used or seen one in person.

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Always more than one method to do anything......

GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Georgia_Boy, kellory and Tully Mars like this.
  10. shaman

shaman Monkey++

Loading Berdan primed and steel-cased stuff is right out of The Backwards Home Magazine. I'm sorry, but I let my subscription expire after they had an article about using roll roofing for a kitchen floor, followed by another article about using old linoleum for roof underlayment.

OK. Let me rephrase the statement:

"Reloading Steel Cases sucks. Reloading Berdan primed brass sucks."

The practical truth is if you have a choice between Berdan and Boxer, Brass and Steel, go with the Boxer-primed brass. Save the Berdan primed and steel case cases to trade to the webtards who think they are easy-peasy to reload. The truth is you won't find Berdan Primers through normal channels, and steel cases rip up your dies.

Reloading brass, Boxer-primed cases really smooths out the process, and the increment in price is not all that bad, considering that I've got 30-06 cases that came to me once-fired and have gone through 8 loadings. I'm not saying steel-cased eurotrash is necessarily bad. I've got a bunch of it in various chamberings, but it's also stuff that I would save for use in a situation where I did not consider reloading. An example is my Mosin Nagants. I've got a case or two of steel stuff stashed for SHTF scenarios, but I use clean 7.62X54R brass from Grafs for my deer loads. I have a front yard that is gradually getting resurfaced in steel-cased Berdan primed empties and 22 LR. If anyone wants to make me an offer for the right to salvage, I'm open to it.

One other piece of advice: Military crimped primer pockets suck. However, I do have the swaging die that gets the thing sorted out. It is handy to have, and once swaged the problem is gone forever. The thing you have to remember is that unlike most reloading dies that go for years, the mil-crimp thingus has a limited life expentancy. I've had to call RCBS 3 times in 15 years to get replacement parts. I can't tell you how many crimps it swaged before giving up the ghoste, but it was not an infinite amount. In a SHTF scenario, you don't want to have to call RCBS for replacement parts. I lean towards civilian brass, but I have mountains of Lake City in the reloading cave.

My advice is to look seriously at Lee R.E.A.L. molds and see if there is one that fits. The shamanic Dream Team switched all their ML rifles to R.E.A.L. and pure lead and reaped a huge benefit. In a lot of instances, there is a heavy bullet and a lighter bullet for each caliber. Pick the heavier one for tight-twisted modern ML's and the lighter shorter squatter bullet for the round ball shooters.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    Legion489, Tikka and Georgia_Boy like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Conical only( as per the factory)1:28 twist

12. shaman

shaman Monkey++

OK. The R.E.A.L. is conical In your case go with the larger of the two choices. My buddy has take deer at 100 yards+ with his 50 Cal Traditions.

kellory likes this.
  13. If they have not been in too long perhaps you can find a scuba diver to retrieve them for you.

14. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

awesome thread. there was a stabbing in the alley behind my house this weekend and a theft across the street that same night, so I just started looking in to classes. I live in a great neighborhood :(

AD1 and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Hopefully you carry is all I will say..

Tully Mars, Leeuhhh and Yard Dart like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Motomom34
  3. Matei
  4. Ganado
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Dont
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. Yard Dart