Firearms Training: Making It Real

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by prepareordie, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Shrike what do you think of the 30 cal verses the 223 ?

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Gunkid, will the .22 be able to pentrate that armored wheelbarrow of yours? [kissit]

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Where did you study anatomy? I shall
    see to it that my grandaughter does NOT attend that particular institution.

What rubbish. :eek:

4. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ah strike I will have to disagree with you on numerous points here.
    First the heart is roughly about 4" about the size of your fist if you lay it on your chest. The brain is about 6" in width and about 8" in depth.
    Secondly a 22 lr while I will admit would hurt like a bugger bear is NOT going to stop the attack. There are alot of people out there that will attest to putting five or six rounds of .25 cal. bullets in someone and watch them keep coming.
    Third like Ghostrider said the head is a hard curved bone. Most small fast moving rounds will follow the curve of the bone and just give them a nice distinguishing scar. Rifle bullets not with standing of course. The reason being in most of those cases is that your rifle bullet is either a spire point which allows for some expansion upon contact or it's FMJ in which case the hardened point will penetrate.
    Fourth there is a reason why the phrase "double tap" is so well know. I had a instructor tell me two things which I still live by and will pass on to the folks here.
    1. If they were good enough to shoot once they're good enough to a couple more times.
    2. Two to the chest and one to the head makes any man forget his evil intentions.

Fifth. rather than buying 200.00 worth of ammo to shoot half of it why not buy 200.00 worth of reloading equipment? then you can shoot alot more and buy less carry ammo since you wouldn't have to shoot it all up? I realize that most carry ammo is a tad hotter or does have some different charcteristics however, if you have shot your pistol enough to learn it well then after a mag or two of carry ammo you know what the ammunition feels like works like in your pistol and what if any aim corrections you need to make.

Sixth. while I realize you wouldn't really want to take on multiple attackers with a pistol, autoloader or revolver most people as a general rule don't carry a m1a or ar in their vehicle. Furthermore you say don't waste your money buying a junk milsurp rifle, ak blasting. Well if you say you need a assualt rifle to take on multiple attackers isn't that what the ak is for?

Seventh. Hand grenades??? ahhh besides the obvious fact of it being more than a tad illegal, are you planning on carrying it on you? if it's in you vehicle with the ak, ar then you will have to deal with your mulitple attackers with the pistol/ revolver till you get too your vehicle. If you have dealt with them properly then you really won't need your ak,ar or grenade. If you haven't then you have to get into your car DURING a fire fight. Not really gonna be possible. You may have a remote that opens doors if so then it makes it a tad easier.
    Now if you actually use your grenade how are you going to deal with the shrapnel that hits bystanders.? Remember by and large you will be in a fairly populated area otherwise the group of people standing around should have alearted you of a possible danger and you should have moved on anyway.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

5. E.L.

That doesn't matter to the felon known as gunkid/meya/strike. He spent enough time in the big house and is way too wary to get caught again................NOT! [LMAO]

6. ghrit

Poacher, trying to use reason on this toad will be about as successful as finding a local gravity reverser to flatten trajectory. But you are right on all counts, and it's too bad he refuses to learn. I can't in all honesty say the bugger is welcome here, but he has provided us with some, ah, "diversion" in the not too distant past. Really stirred the board up for a few days.

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

[LMAO] [LMAO] [LMAO] [LMAO] [LMAO]
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b:: b::

8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

9. E.L.

Someone contact his parole officer, or his cell daddy. [sheep]

10. poacher

Ghrit.

I was wondering if this was the same gunkid with whom I'd had dealings with years ago on another board. I was trying to give the benifit of a doubt. Looking at this morons post I see it is the same bafoon. Good Lord he's still talking about this assualt wheelbarrow? I'm amazed that this oxygen thief is still around. I honestly figured by now he would have blown himself up, which, I can't say would be a bad thing. Last time I saw his posts I realized two things. First they can't produce enough proazc in a day to deal with the amount he needs and Secondly he would loose in a battle of the wits with a brain damaged gopher.
    On a different topic thanks for the agreement on my statements. Nice to see I haven't completly lost all my old training.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[no]

12. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

[LMAO]

13. poacher

Ghostrider

I hope you are refering to my comments on Gunnut. I realize my skills may be a tad rusty but I thought I was about right. :lol:

14. ghrit

I cannot tell if it's the same bird, but for sure he's from the same flock. I suspect (after having looked a bit into HB) that he was there, too, at least once. :dunno:

15. poacher

Ghrit

If you are refering to sniperbill no that wasn't gunnut however I think it might have been a close, kissing? cousin. That moron decided to claim that he was a sniper and a Ranger. We tend to take those things a might personal since we have alot of former Military there. So one of our members got hold of a real Ranger that he knew and we had some Rangers come and make him cry. Then we banned him. A good time was had by all, except I dare say sniperbill.

16. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ok this looks like a good place to hide a confession and be on topic.

I ashamed myself today, I went out back and burned 90 rounds in practice with my carry gun at a B27 target at 10 yards simulating defensive shooting. I would face away from the target the draw as I turned and triple tap (2 to chest one to head) as soon as I was fully turned. All fireing was on doulbe action rapidfire and half was off hand.

Even at this range fireing in this fashion I was only makeing clean shots (heart or top third near center of head) at around 50% and about 10% missed the black. Have to admit while I had done some rapid fire before, I was shocked at how poorly I did with these drills.

So, out of curiosity, have the rest of you done much of this type of fireing and how did it go for you all? I did want to post this anyhow for anyone who has not done any shooting in similar fashion to point out it is a lot different from even aimed rapid fire two handed shooting with which I can normaly keep my groups under 5" at 15-20 yards.

17. ghostrider

[winkthumb] I thought you hit the nail on the head.

18. ghostrider

You've got to see that front sight on target before you pull the trigger again. Need to shoot some El Presidente drills. With 6 rounds in the gun, turn, draw, fire two each on three targets, reload, fire two each on the three targets again. You can look at the IPSC or IDPA targets, and get a good idea how to draw the A zone.

19. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was working on pretty much instinctive shooting without realy even useing the sights.

The front sight on my gun is red but as I found last week when I used it late at night to shoot a racoon that was after the chickens, it dont show up at all in low light. So between that and speed factor am trying to work more on shooting without use of the sights.

Faceing the target and fireing slower I do pretty decent at that range with this meathod but rapid fire and turning to aquire the target as well as comeing from carry position severely lowered my accuracy.

BTW; The coon was at about the same range and running and hit him with 2 out of 3 shots, the one that missed I discovered was likely deflected somewhat when it went through a 4x4 post on the pourch rail but took the third shot to get him in the head.

20. ghostrider

Try shooting from retention, from right above your holster at three yards to start. Draw and fire one round at a time for the first two or three cylinders to tyry to teach that muscle memory. Smooth is good, smooth is fast. Watch your bullet holes on the paper, and see if you can feel where the gun's pointed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7