Firearms Training: Making It Real

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by prepareordie, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Anybody participated in Practical Rifle? Been thinking about it :dunno:

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

More or less what I was doing. Was about halfway between the holster level and normal presentation, about like elbow at 90 degrees with arm down or that level anyway.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

3 gun shoots here.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

One of the things I like about the range that I work at we have (currently) 4 levels of Defensive handgun training available. Street Survival School Defensive HG levels 1 - 4 are designed to teach "real world" shooting.

Now, I've only been through level 1, which teaches draw and fire from concealment, moving while fireing (both forward & backwards and side to side) shooting from cover, and malfunction drills, drawing from seated & prone positions

Level 2 is the same as 1 but in low/no light

Level 3 builds on 1 & 2

Level 4 - force on force training. We use simunitions and man-marker rounds and get to shoot each other and the instructors:shock:

Our range also offers defensive shotgun and AR classes. Lots of training available to me, and I plan on taking it all :)

check out <a href="http://www.rangeusa.com">www.rangeusa.com</a> if you want more information.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Jeez thats fantastic, I was at out our community range last year checking out a plastic fantastic (not) remmy 97 rimfire a buddy wanted to sell : loaded a full mag, fired the mag as quickly as possible from the shoulderon a 25 yard target, cleared and grounded it on the shooting table.and the "Range oficer" ( parks dept) walked over warned me against "rapid fire". No rapid fire! or i'd get tossed off the range...
    Yes sir...

6. Ommega

Ommega Monkey+++

Try this at home :)
    When given the task of teaching fellow officers, I thought about putting them through another boring PPC course, but I wanted them first, have FUN, and second, learn something valuable.
    Here is what I came up with:

High noon shoot out course!

Place five bowling pins on a flat board about ten yards away from two side by side shooters.

The rules:

Each shooter may shoot as many rounds as fast as they can at their respective outside pins, but they may only take one shot at the center orange pin after they were first able to remove, from the board, the two pins on their side of the center pin.

I'm a fair guy, so I allow every shooter to familiarize themselves to the sport by first having them practice at a slow pace.

The hidden lesson here is to show them how their accuracy degrades under stress. Then I will explain how much more stress they may encounter if their life depended on hitting the targets.
    Just wait till you see how many magazines they will go through before they hit their outside pins during the competition.

High Noon, the ultimate stress Test!

Your Bud,

7. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Very good point MM, when I worked for the local PD we spent hours on the range in a line in front of the target, practice the draw down and "double tap" then holster, over and over. Wasn't until hours and hours then move to the fire on the run, different obstacles etc. One thing you need to do is build the muscle memory first, once you have that your weapon becomes the extension.

good post

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7