first AR build

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VisuTrac, Sep 28, 2010.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

This week i pick up a stripped lower.

Now the tough part.
    5.45 or 5.56
    rifle,dissapator carbine or pistol.

Oh the horror of having to decide! seesaw

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I had the same problem, so I went with 2 of everything. :D

3. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Or, you could do a 9mm build.......

I am waiting for my tax stamp for my SBR 9mm so I can finally mount the upper. Already have the can for it!!:D

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

If you live in some country where the main service rifle was an AK74.... go for a 5.45. If you live in the good ole' USofA...... better off with 5.56.

You will be more likely to run into 5.56 ammo or components when ships stop importing. I've stated this several times.... 1 in 3 rounds manufactured in this country is .223.

As for length.... considering the power of 5.56, my opinion is a carbine offers the best weight to accuracy to range ratio. If you need to shoot a bit longer you will be benefited with a 7.62 rig of some type. A 5.56 carbine is perfectly capable to 500M in the right hands.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm in meeechigan. We don't allow them sbr's nor suppressors here. Those are way too dangerous for standard citizens to own [stirpot].

As to the 5.45 vs. 5.56 dilema; I already have a saiga 5.45 and about 2k rounds for it. Wasn't sure about getting an upper so i could keep both fed without having to add an additional caliber to the mix (12,.22,5.45 so far)

With the current price of 5.45 i can get 3k rounds for what 1k of 5.56 is going for.[gun] But you are right Hispeedal2. 5.56 should be the way to go but it's just that additional caliber thingy getting in my way (plus cost of ammo). I guess i could build the 5.45 to feed my desire to feed both and then buy a 5.56 upper later when i can afford the ammo.

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I hear you on this point. I try to keep it to just a few and every few years I have to "re-streamline". I've gone outside of my few "standard" calibers these days with the justification that for those calibers I only keep a few hundred rounds on hand anyways.

[alllies]

Reloading only helps me justify my craziness [gun]:rolleyes:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7