First day or the seventh day for the Sabbath

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by Dont, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I know there has been long discussions regarding seventh day or first day Sabbath. For those that have an understanding that the adversary has been playing the LONG game, and has been busy, long before we have been a thought to anyone else, but for God.

Here is the best evidence I have come across for establishing the truth of the day for the Sabbath.

duane and Wildbilly like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Does it really matter? I mean, as long as you have a Sabbath and keep it Holy (that means no golf, fishing, hunting, etc.) I don't see that it makes a difference. Of course, the only opinion that matters is GOD'S!

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

The day does not matter, the Commandment called for the seventh day. Jesus and the disciples tended to observe a day of rest on the 1 st day, he returned from the dead on the first day and I expect the early church leaders wished to place Jesus and his teachings as superior to the Jewish customs and the Jewish religion. We have no idea of what the actual day is, only the symbol of the 7 th as it is the conclusion of God,s creation of the Earth and a day of rest, or a symbol of Jesus and his rebirth on the first day and redemption as a gift and accepting his word and faith rather than meeting some ritual procedure and redemption based on checking off the boxes.

Fact remains Rome changed from seventh to first day and set birth date as the 25 th of Dec., both which tied in with their sun god worship in the past. If you believe that salvation is a gift of believing, day is not important, if you don't believe that, then you need to throw out the new testament and go back to the old one as supreme. Arguing about the seventh vs the first is to me kind of like putting lipstick on a hog, doesn't make the hog any better looking and upsets the hog. in my own mind, it doesn't make any difference.

john316, techsar and magicfingers like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I guess it all depends on whether one is a Jew or one is a Christian, or neither...and what particular denominational category of Jew or Christian one is. For some heathens, a Sabbath can be held at midnight on any night of the year. ;)

The 'correct' day of 'the' sabbath is a trivial matter to just about anyone who doesn't give a toss about the minutae of hair splitting religious dogma...though getting paid time and a half for Saturdays, double time on Sundays and double time and a half for public holidays on Christian high holy days is of the utmost concern! All else is just theological quibbling on the level of how many angels can stand on the head of a pin kind of pointless speculation.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  5. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Remember the old days when one respected others beliefs(especially religious) and made sure not to offend? It was perfectly OK to have an opinion, and just keep it to yourself.
    I miss those days.

3cyl, duane and BTPost like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is ok to have, and express, opinions, in my world… Just do not expect me to buy anyones opinion, as fact, just on their word…. I do my own research, and Due Diligence, on things that cause me pause, weigh the facts and opinions of others, and then formulate my own opinion, as to the relevance in my world, and to me…. Then after testing the opinion for a while and gaining experience with that opinion, it than begins to be held as a Fact, in my world…

7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Belief in the divine rights of the King, in God, or in the rights of a person to have a claim to something that belonged to his ancestors is all the same. You may question my right to a belief, but your government allows a group of individuals to claim Ayer's rock or vast pieces of land on just as a flimsy a basis. We all have our weaknesses, I just happen to enjoy mine and if you wish to allow someone to dominate your society in the name of native rights, climate change, equality, etc, that is your right, just allow me to have my own beliefs.

Thank you for the videos, I am enjoying them and would have never found them.

's

8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I would never consider forcing any belief on another. Forced compliance to belief, is not FAITH in God!
    Once acceptance for the GOD of Abraham and of the creation, then one becomes subject to his authority.
    And one is responsible for their own actions, and compliance to GOD's laws as given to Moses. NOT man made laws
    as are spelled out in religious traditions.

The roman church had corrupted GOD's law's and the first day observance for the Sabbath is just one of their transgressions. It was a man made change to GOD's law.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Jesus was not strongly adherent to the sabbath as He did healing which is when He proclaimed its priority, second to doing good from God’s perspective.
    A person must first have a relationship Jesus provided, via the Holy Spirit to have the instruction of God for his life.
    With out Jesus Lordship one’s works are independent of God. Noble works are not equivalent to a relationship.
    Jesus said,” I only do those things My Father tells Me.” That is His example. How one fallows His example of obedience to the Father ,real time, will be case for examination come judgment day. Matthew 7: 21,22,23,
    One does not manipulate God, jumping hoops. God knows the heart of men, all-their past and all their secret intentions, God does not look for ways to deny a person, but He does understand our humanity.
    But deliberately choosing corruption makes it hard to redeem from. Don’t tempt God.
    Why choose to embrace some teaching men with the best intentions preach, unless God has actually spoken to your heart. If it is academics that move you, or God, beware.
    Colossians 2:

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A question was asked in the thread header by the thread originator...and a reasoned, rational answer was given: An honest answer, even if a little too blunt for the sensitivities of some, apparently.

I remember the old days when having an opinion a little too eccentric for the theological tastes of the rest of one's sectarian herd, often enough resulted in being made a pariah, and if one was lucky, merely expelled from the herd for one's heresy / disrespect. Going back to the 'good' old days, well before my time on this planet, not respecting some religious beliefs, was a matter of life and death, with the heretic being made to provide that odour of burning flesh which was so pleasing to the olfactory satisfaction of the god of the congregation / faith confession who was displeased / offended.

Not all beliefs deserve respect, and some of the most pernicious of religious beliefs, which are a particularly burdensome blight upon human flourishing, deserve not only hearty derision, but vigorous challenge. Some religious beliefs that are harmful to human wellbeing all too often get a privileged free pass within a society's 'in group'. Of course, those in a society's 'out group' can generally go screw themselves and are expected to just 'suck it up', if they have little to no influence with the majority religious political identity. In our own little society of SM, it's not as if a number of the vocal interlocutors here are particularly respectful, solicitous, or deferential of Islam, or of Muslims generally....so, to be consistent, one here ought also to refrain from offending any Muslim residents or visitors to this august haven of religious tolerance, by similarly refraining from making derogatory, disrespectful, offensive comments about Islamic theology and its cultural observances. ;)

Getting back to the OP topic:

The earliest followers of Jesus were, for quite some time, just one of many Judaic sects that followed much of the theology and religious practices of the Torah at that time. Gradually, over a number of centuries, the Judaic 7th Day Shabbat, morphed into the 1st Day 'Lord's Day' for many followers of Christ, which eventually became the customary Sabbath for the Roman Catholic Church and many of its derivative denominations and sects. As I see it, the differences in Sabbath days, is just a Christian theological form of marketing 'brand' differentiation, making Christians more gentile than Jew and bit by bit, becoming a part of the Christian 'othering' of Jews within many societies; and over the centuries, becoming a significant element in the stoking of antisemitic sentiment which found its ultimate expression in Hitler's holocaust of the Jews in the 1930s and 1940s. There are some Christian sects which consider both the 1st and the 7th days as Sabbaths, and some Christian sects (such as 7th Day Adventists) which hold to the Mosaic prescriptions of the Sabbath being held on the 7th day only. Increasingly, as societies are becoming more and more secularised, the Christian 'sabbath' (or 'the Lord's day') is accorded less and less societal significance (privilege), and the coercive power that churches once enjoyed over the bulk of unwashed(with holy water), unconverted and unconvinced heathens who reside therein, has steadily diminished: Hence the progressive repeal of 'blue laws' in the USA (and elsewhere), and the progressive disempowering of 'State Religions' privileged and propped up formerly by less secular governments in many countries around the world.

With the growing secularisation of societies around the world, the observance of 'the Sabbath', as an essential element of religious faith, is becoming less and less common. As time goes by, to more people are finding that observing pious commitments on Saturdays, or Sundays (or any other day for that matter), is becoming seen as an irrelevant, absurd, unwarranted, waste of time, effort, and tithing shekels, if they think about religious sabbaths at all.

Whether the Sabbath is an the 1st day, or the last day of the week, is only really of concern to those who actually care about such theological folderol...for the bulk of humanity...who friggin' cares??? Except for workers who are financially rewarded for foregoing their religion's scripturally mandated day of rest and god worship, and employers who pass on the costs of such financial penalties on their businesses, onto their customers and consumers.

Unlike some conservative 'golden ageists', I see little merit in religions being accorded unwarranted deference and privilege, simply on the basis of tradition; and its pandering utility by political parties to garner support from this, or that sectarian vote segment ifor the purpose of gaining, or maintaining political power. I do see merit in sharing my opinions, even though they may not be particularly palatable to some, rather than self censoring and just ceding the discussion to the orthodoxy of the prevailing majority point of view, (and the tone policing of some ;) ).

Vive la difference!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7