First Fish on a Dry Fly

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Clyde, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Went fishing over the mountain yesterday evening with my 10 year old for his first fly fishing outing. He caught 4 by himself and didn't want me to help him at all on his casting. "Dad, I never want to fish with a worm again!"

photo copy.JPG

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Excellent!! You can get lost in fly fishing..... If he's really into it, have him read: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400063965/?tag=survivalmonke-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QCXCF6/?tag=survivalmonke-20

There's a quote in Leeson's book I like a lot: "Fly fishing is all about self-imposed limitations." It's you against the fish....you may think "Ah...bs, fish are stupid." But, I've had a trout rise and eat bug after bug...then, my fly floats by, he rises....looks, goes back down. Oh, the frustration is delicious.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Excellent, try and Elk Hair Caddis Clyde they catch almost everything in the NW with ease. also if you swing a dry with an egg pattern dropper or a gold bead head use a Rusty Bomber 4-5 feet in front of the nymph.

4. Clyde

#14 caddis was the fly last night.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Man...I need to get to some different water with a bigger hatch. The hatch on the Chattahoochie right now really pushes the limits of my eyes and meaty mitts. The last time I was slinging #24 zebra midges.

Flies 001.JPG

6. Clyde

I have a difficult time seeing the eyes of the hooks. I know down hill lately on the vision. I need the clip on cheater

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice. I bet he had a great time.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

+ 1 Clyde..I for one would not mind being there...and fishing...!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7