First knife....ready for HT

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Cousin Jack, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Pictured below is my first attemp at knifemaking....

This is a small hollow ground utility knife with a 3-1/2" blade. I finally got to a point today where it is ready to be heat treated. After heat treating, I will add some Tulip wood or perhaps Purpleheart (wood) scales on the handle.

What do you think?
    47b5ce36b3127cce94fca73cb52300000016108abm2jzs2ytl_202. 47b5ce36b3127cce94fcb51bb50d00000016108abm2jzs2ytl_105.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I like it CJ!
    I have a small Razor Utility knife that has a similar 'swell' towards the rear of the hilt and it feels really good in my hand. When you're finished, I'd love to feelit. (Promise I won't beat it up), I just really like the Handle shape

3. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That looks like pretty good grinding! I like it, but in the future you'll probably want to use thinner steel or taper that handle so it won't be so handle heavy. Alot of these materials we use for handles is already pretty heavy.

Good job!

BTW, that 100x better than my first one! [beer]

4. melbo

I like thick knives... hehehehe

5. Valkman

You know, I thought everyone in the world would like them thinned down but it's not so - my neighbor wants his left "weighty". To me they are faster and feel better when they're not so handle heavy. But CJ has lots of time to experiment! :)

6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

That's a really nice knife !!!!!! and grinding job..... [beer]

7. Cousin Jack

1/4" steel. 8)

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Machete grade. :eek:

9. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Heck of a good start!

10. melbo

How's this one coming along? I'd be interested in purchasing your first, Unless you are planning on keeping it.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

You will have to change your nick from melbo to Ginsu soon, if you keep buying knives. [melbo]

12. Cousin Jack

I had three people wanting this one, but after my wife saw it, she claimed it for herself...when the wife is happy, everyone is happy. ;)

13. melbo

ok, cool.
    keep me posted when you have something

14. Valkman

Mine did that once, then after a couple of weeks lost interest and I sold it. Give her time, or make something she likes better. :)

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You know Valkman, I guess it depends upon the application. I like heavy kitchen knives. But if I am going to carry it, then I like it lighter. I like a light knife for gutting, skinning, and carrying, but a good heavy one when I am cutting meat or something else at the camp or in the kitchen. To each his own though.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7