1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

fishing gear

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by mysterymet, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

what do you guys recommend for good fishing gear? I do a bit of recreational fishing and have a few light set ups but nothing professional grade by any means...
  2. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

Depends on the kind of fishing. I do a lot of fly fishing and use a bamboo rod (was my dad's) with an Orvis Battenkill large arbor reel. For brook and lake fishing, I use a lightweight graphite rod with any number of different reels depending on the fishing site. For salt water, I use a HD spinning reel and a composite rod. I probably have 2 dozen rods and almost as many reels so for lake and salt water, I change them out sometimes depending on the catch of the day. If I'm fishing for flats I might opt for a different rod than for bluefish.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well if this is a SHTF question,Then i will use my hoopnet or a gill net...
    Just for food...since i guess rule's and regulation's no longer exist...
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

If you are asking for recreational... i like the old cane pole for fresh water... and a old mitchell rod and reel for pier fishing...

if you are asking for worse case scenario... buy a trot line they are cheap and effective...
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary