Fishing kit

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, May 7, 2015.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I believe in the power of the worm, plastic or natural.

Hanzo, Ganado and kellory like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Is Mr Twisty the white worm?

I didn't know they named them
    @kellory. A herd? Of worms? Any favorite colors?

I keep looking closer at the picture. These are really ingenious

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Hanzo likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]
    Yes, I believe all artificial baits are named, both for identification, and because they are product and under patent. Colors of baits vary widely and some are more effective one place then another.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Down here in Florida some ladies of color fish the saltwater tidal creeks and rivers for mullet to feed their family members. They were kind enough to talk to me and show me how they did it. I was amazed to see them raising their poles in a complete arc up and over their heads onto the bank with one or more fish on at one time. They use long cane poles around 14 foot long or so. They usually wear an apron like pouch that stops just about the waist. In the pouch is oats. Mullet love the oats. They throw oats by the handful every now and then out in front of where they are fishing. White or if you can find them tan ringed plastic worms or jig head "bodies" like those shown in post 23 above, are cut with a single edge safety razor blade into discs at the ring separations. These are put on small but stout fish hooks. Like kell's fishing kits, they will have several of these 4 to 6 hook monofilament droppers made up in advance to replace any damaged or broke off. Line size on the dropper is usually 12 or 15 pound test. Each hook on the dropper will have one of these plastic disc fake oats slices. A small bobber is usually about 3 to 6 foot up from the bottom of the dropper. A small crimp on lead weight is near the bottom of the dropper just above the bottom hook. They catch mullet 2 and 3 at a time as large as 3 pounds although 1.5 pound is more common. A normal fishing trip for each of these women will normally be 60 pounds of fish or so. I have caught a few in a similar manner except with a 7 foot spinning rod. It works but these rare talented ladies have it down to a science. I haven't seen it done this way in a long time, but I don't roam the water ways like I did in my youth.

AD1, chelloveck, Dont and 5 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You sir have witnessed 'The Old Day's' + 10,000
    The larva from a wasp nest is deadly for perch. Just say'n

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just saw your post, @kellory. Hope you liked.

3M-TA3 and kellory like this.
  7. kellory

Very much so. Still eating the chocolate. But the rest is long gone. Have you had a chance to try them out yet?

Hanzo likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sadly no. Not yet. Got busy. Moved house. And now that the busy rush is about done, finishing up moving house. And got a new toy, my bike. But I have been riding along the coastline and have scouted out a couple of likely spots to deploy the kit. So will do so when I am not commuting.

kellory likes this.
  9. kellory

I have received requests for quite a few of these fishing kits. I will be making up more in the next few days. If you want to be on the list, PM me.

AD1 and Hanzo like this.
  10. kellory

I have the fillers for each kit in hand, but will need to pick up some more m&m tubes for all the requests. Kits for the tubes I have will be going out by mail in a few days.

Ganado likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

down boy!

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Fishing is one of if not the best survival skill a person can learn. I bought our B.O.L. house on the lake for that very reason. Our 209 acre lake is filled with food and has no public access. It is a pantry with no upkeep necessary . I have more fishing tackle then Ill ever use. Line however does go bad over time. It gets brittle and weak. I have many many spools of good line stored aay. Hooks, shot bobbers etc. Ill bet we have 30 pounds of soft plastic baits. Well over 500 crankbaits and spinners., spoons and such. maybe 50 rods and reels. 4 boats which include a pedal powered pontoon we call the KWAK craft stands for Kingfishers Wilderness Assault Craft. But if the lights go out our most productive boat will be the 16 foot canoe. It is quick to and from the water and with two people can move pretty fast.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Kingfish have you thought about what you would do if all your line went bad? love to hear what you would use.

pontoon assault vehicle:lol:

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

He would use a NET, just like any other Right Thinking Person..... Hook & Line is for Single Folks. Families will start using Nets, as soon as there are no Laws, or Enforcement, to deal with....

Yard Dart, Tobit and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

yes but a net won't fit in an M&M container in your back pack. Different conversation, netting vs back pack fishing kit

Bear likes this.
  16. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

If I were trying to feed a group, fishing a lake, jug lines would be my go to. I'd use a net at an inlet. Braided line like Spider Wire will store fine if you keep it dry. Works good as heavy duty thread too. I used one pole and lure all Summer and fed my family more fish than they wanted to eat. We have some good fishing out here.

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  17. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

You're gonna get cavities making all those kits Kell! :whistle:

Hanzo, oldawg, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  18. kellory

I have a half dozen of these, as well. Tested, they work well. I was catching small fish as soon as the bait hit the water.
    Mine are set up a little different for shock of big fish, and more versatility.
    [​IMG]

Rocky Road Lerp likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

20. kellory

Yes, they are called auto fishers (by whites) or yo-yo reels. They are very effective, and can be used to cinch up snares too. (Like those in this pic)[​IMG] [​IMG] top end mounts to just about anything with a dog clip.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7