Fishing kit

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, May 7, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

1447624284061-125936527.

Hanzo and Rocky Road Lerp like this.
  2. kellory

I just mailed out 20 of these fishing kits, with five more waiting on the counter for Monday mail.
    Anyone else want one, or ten. PM me, and I'll get to it after my hunting trip.

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Anyone use trot lines? You can catch fish for a family...

Bear and kellory like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You're a good man, Uncle @kellory.

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

2nd that!

kellory and Hanzo like this.
  6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

LOL @Ganado... no not in an M&M container but one for this purpose (as well as tangling up other critters like birds etc) will fit in a small zip lock snack bag... I made up a bunch of them for exactly this purpose... 3 feet high about 8-9 feet long... lead line and floaters included... ;) soooooooo...... maybe not totally a different conversation.....

@BTPost is absolutely correct... nets are highly efficient and effective and can clean out rivers, lakes, ponds, coastlines etc... pretty darn quick... just like wild game out there... this and @Witch Doctor 01 's comment on trot lines ... as well as traps (also light and collapsing) for the critters that crawl around on land as well as in the rivers, lakes, ponds, coastlines etc (I love crawfish, shrimp and prawns) ... are brutally effective and efficient on wiping out things fast... especially in some of the situations we talk about possibly happening...

Fish netting... I recommend the monofilament type ... is cheap and light... traps, scoop nets etc... can all be fashioned pretty quickly with available natural vegetation and cordage... you only really need to carry the netting...

And they are passive... like @kellory 's yo yo reels... snares traps etc... set it and go about getting other things done...

Maybe @Witch Doctor 01 will explain trot lines for folks that may not know what they are... another great passive technique... similar to long lining in the ocean... (or they can simply google it)

People and animals will always be attracted to and head for water ... it's a natural thing in many of the situations we talk about here... so many solutions are found at water... especially fresh water....

Of course this is all just my humble opinion... I could be wrong ;)

Have a great week all! @kellory ... you're a saint for doing this!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

So @Hanzo when are we going to the coastline to test out your kit? ;)

Hanzo, Ganado and kellory like this.
  7. kellory

I'm no saint, sir.
    I just found something people seem to.like. I'll probably keep making them as long as people keep asking.

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Let's set a time, @Bear!

Bear likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Not a saint, but a good man!

10. kellory

[dunno] it must be something in that Hawaiian water. The mainland monkeys seem to think I'm a pain in the @$$.
    Enjoy your kits.

Hanzo, Yard Dart and Bear like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Being a good man does not preclude you from being a pain in the buttootie. :rolleyes:

Ganado, ghrit, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

And I mean that in a good way, @kellory...

13. kellory

[raspberry]

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have found that fine braided line lasts longer then I will live. Im 57 now and it has about a 40 year shelf life if kept dry. I am stacked deep with good line Ill die before it goes bad.
    Nets are not practical here , I would and will use fish traps made of stainless steel or galvanized wire. I have one now that I use to catch shiner minnows , I also have a larger one I made. Fish swim through the funnel to get in after the bait then cant get out. Easy to catch Blue gills this way.

Witch Doctor 01 and HK_User like this.
  15. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Monkey

I like!!! I made one that fits in the handle of my CS Bushman
    image.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7