FISHING LINE MONOFILAMENT STORAGE

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by john316, Oct 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. john316

john316 Monkey+++

IF....
    ." Don't just keep monofilament line, it goes bad from old age."

WHAT kind of line can you store that does not go bad from old age

A LITTLE RESEARCH

Nylon monofilament is the ideal material for fishing line. It's rot-proof, totally resistance to saltwater, and sinks slowly.

Monofilament fishing line does have two great weaknesses: Extreme heat and UV rays.

Mono absorbs water and will become limper as it soaks. Maybe hot water does it faster; I've never tried.

Sunlight and high temperatures can dramatically weaken these line

monofilament has an average shelf life of two to three years, while

fluorocarbon lines can last up to seven or eight years without losing its edge.

These are under ideal conditions, however.

One of the problems with mono is that it absorbs water and loses strength, which is why it overtests straight out of the box

monofilament strength isn't affected by severe cold

I think braid would probably last forever;

My gut instinct is that properly stored braid on it's original spool would outlast mono.

I'm kinda old fashioned when it comes to lines, still mostly use mono, but I think longevity is probably a "chalk on up" for the braid category.

For flouro and nylon mono installed on a reel, it might eventually take a set (coiling) and present manageability issues before it actually became brittle or otherwise lost enough line strength to matter.

Regarding shelf-life on line still on a bulk spool, I think with proper storage it will last a long time. I have been buying 1-pound spools (up to 8,000 yards a spool) of YZ and it will take me a number of years to use it up - I have no concerns about shelf-life at all.

If you’re a fan of braid, you should be good to go. Braided line, when treated properly, can be used in the water for years.

One simple idea is to store line away from the rest of your fishing gear in a more temperate part of the home. We may have been onto something when we alluded to refrigerating produce; you can do the same with your fishing line! It sounds like a joke, but refrigeration protects lines from both heat and humidity.

fieldandstream.com ...Rather than let your investments roast on a garage shelf, or sit in a cabinet in your dank basement, store them in your freezer.

Over time, exposure to moisture, sunlight, and seasonal temperature swings can degrade monofilament and fluorocarbon. The cold, dark, humidity-free environment where your Hot Pockets and fish fillets live, on the other hand,

provides a stable, dry climate that can keep a spool of line—or fly tippet—

fresh indefinitely.

Keep it out of the light and in a cool dark place and mono will last a few years, but the line will curl for a while. Braid may last a very long time stored this way

It’s easy to diagnose overexposure to sunlight, at least on monofilament lines. Even on “clear” variations of this line, you’ll be able to spot faded patches where UV rays have sunbleached the line.

Inspect the monofilament for signs of age before winding it on a fishing reel. Kept in darkness and at moderate temperatures, line should keep its strength for several years.

White powder coating the surface signals old and weak line.

Line that is milky white instead of translucent is past its prime and breaks easily. Tie a strand to something solid and give it a hard pull for additional proof.

2015 shelf life of braid and mono

2015 I have several spools of andy pink from over 20 yrs ago . I don't fish fresh water much anymore by do occasionally. Those spools are still great. I kept them in the garage but out or the sun.

2015 I have a couple made in "west germany" from the 80's.

2015 I keep all my line in my heated garage a giant Rubbermaid tote. There's probably 40 or 50 spools of line in there. Honestly, I can't remember how old some of it is. The vast majority of it is as good as the day I bought it but there's a spool or two of Pink Ande that hasn't aged well. That line doesn't appear to have lost any of its strength but it has gained a very springy quality. It's like handling a kid's Slinky. I'd guess it's at least 20 years old and I won't use it to spool an entire reel but I'll use it for backing and for some of my short leaders. Guess I'm just too cheap not to get aome utility out of my purchases.

2015 I keep my mono in a dark cellar. Some from the 80's. Still good as long as it doesn't dry out from sunlight or heat.

Jack Bogrand on

• Nylon becomes brittle with age due to “drying out.” In fact, nylon parts we used in a manufacturing process could be rejuvenated by placing in boiling water or simply storing in a plastic bag with a little water added to the bag. If your line has not been damaged by ultraviolet rays (too much sunshine) you can rejuvenate nylon monofilamint by putting it in boiling water (right on the spool) for a few minutes. You can verify this by pulling the old dry line to see how much it stretches before it breaks. After boiling you will find a certain amount of elasticity and a lot of strength has been gained. I don’t think this will work with fluorocarbon line.

Does anyone soak their mono line in hot water to avoid line twist? Does this harm the mono? I know it makes it limp as a noodle and easy to spool.

i was instructed to do this by a rep from Stren Co. hot tap water. another thing was to spool up from larger diameter bulk spools rather than 1/4lb size, larger coils less loops.

yes,I have done this for 33 years,it makes the line behave very nice. I do this as well. Only hot tap water.

Mono absorbs water and will become limper as it soaks. Maybe hot water does it faster; I've never tried.

If you use too hot of water or soak for too long it will become stiff.

Some guys boil 300lb mono wrapped tightly against a pencil and then when it cools it becomes stiff and makes a decent lanyard.

Soak it in fabric softener for 24 hours,works great.Also works great on your throw nets.Will make them limp as a noodle.

Test your mono with an overhand knot snapped tight. If the knot breaks, throw it out, if it holds, it should be fine. Not sure how universal that method works but for >15# mono I was told it is a good indicator. An old timer who is no longer with us taught me that one

An easy test for the mono, tie an overhand knot. Pull firmly on the line, if it breaks, throw the line away. This is a great test to do on line before you have a retail store spool a reel. It is surprising how often I have found bad line at retail stores. I have never had this test fail me on line over 6# test.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Great question. I have no idea what's best.

I have seen traditional monofilament go bad. Last time I stocked up I bought spiderwire. No real Intel, just throwing money at something different.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The primary things that make stuff go bad are:
    1. Moisture
    2. Oxygen
    3. Heat
    4. Light (usually UV)
    5. (Generally a very distant 5th that is) Time
    (Not necessarily in that order depending upon the stuff)

If you were to store your monofilament in an ammo can or aluminumized mylar bag with oxygen absorbers and kept it in a cool location, your fishing line would likely last for your lifetime and maybe a bit beyond.

AT

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Izorline Co-polymer Line will not go bad!
    I switched from Maxima Ultra Green to Izorline and haven't ever looked back! Its really the best of all things we want in good quality line. Its smaller diameter then regular mono, it's far more supple and has no line memory, It doesn't ever go bad, it has more yield before it brakes, yet less stretch and much better knot holding, and it has vastly improved abrasion resistance! Of all the Co-polymers, Fluro types, or other types, this is the very best line you can get! With this line, i'm not having to strip my reels and re spool every season, which with Maxima would run me about $100 a year! It can be left on the spools or on the reels with no memory issues and it never goes bad.

I also want to point out Three more things about Izorline; 1) It will out cast any other line out there, it glides through the eyes much better, slicker, and 2) Its simply awesome for pre-tied rigs, especially when were up on a river Steel Head fishing and the action is intense, I can switch rigs in seconds and be back on the swing in no time flat, 3) This line is the most Sensitive you will find, it will transmit the most subtle hint of a bite or a strike to your hand, and with a really good sensitive rod, you will catch more fish!
    With Maxima line, I could consistently cast about 120 feet with 10 pound test, that was about as good as any other fishermen I know or have seen. I switched to Izorline, and now, I can "Put it on the opposite bank" about 160 feet+ using 17 pound test line!
    Lastly, Because of it's smaller diameter, it cuts through the water with much less drag, so it really improves the line feel!

As a side note, it also works amazingly well for Fly Line Leader and tippet! No more need for tapered tippet or multiple knots for a leader and tippet, just tie on to your main line and start casting! Even for big steel head, I use 6 pound test "tippet" on my fly lines, it just works, and is capable of really small knots on the fly eyelet!

[​IMG]

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Keep it n the original spool.
    keep it cool.
    keep it away for the kids .

6. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Good topic, because; you may have to depend on whatever you have to survive. I recently found that all of my lines need to be replaced. Not a cheap thing since I have two salt water large capacity heavy level winds, five medium spinning reels, one heavy high capacity spinning reel, one bait casting level wind and five fly reels. Time for me to start begging SWMBO...:rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If you guys run braided, make sure it's a waxed line, stored in a cool dry place, it lasts forever!

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I just respooled 2 of my rods , and I bought the braided to give it a shot. I usually carry an ultra light rod with a small box of assorted lures , just to have for on the way home and when I feel like stopping by the boat ramp , or under a bridge. I'm trying the braided because it's as small but stronger than mono line. I've never seen the waxed coated line , I'll look for it on my next trip out.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Being in the middle of Arizona, it is hard to get out fishing as often as I used to when living in the western peninsula of Washington state. I could go fishing every week there, now I'm lucky to get out once every few months. Too much travel, traffic, area usage fees, and issues just getting to a decent fishing spot. I can't just drive to my favorite area, hike down a path, start fishing and open my thermos of coffee.

I recently switched my gear over to braided line. I really like the size (diameter) to strength ratio of braided compared to the monofilament line I've used in the past. I've been able to replace 6lb line with 20lb line and still get more line on the reel than I had before. I haven't been out with it yet, so I will have to come back here with an after action report. Right now I can say that due to the small diameter of the line it is a bit more 'interesting' tying knots.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. reitiafasd

reitiafasd Monkey

Proper storage of fishing line, especially monofilament line, is essential to ensure its longevity and prevent tangling or damage. Here are some tips for storing your monofilament fishing line:
    Keep it Dry: Moisture can weaken fishing line over time. Store your monofilament line in a dry place to prevent it from absorbing water, which can lead to reduced strength and performance.
    Avoid Direct Sunlight: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause UV damage to fishing line, making it brittle and less effective. Store your line in a cool, dark place or use a storage container that blocks out sunlight.
    Use Line Spools: Many fishing lines come on spools designed for storage. Keep the line on these spools, as they help maintain the line's shape and prevent tangling.
    Line Holders or Spool Organizers: If you have multiple spools of fishing line, consider using a line holder or spool organizer. These tools allow you to neatly store and dispense line as needed.
    Tangle Prevention: To prevent tangling, make sure the line is properly wound onto the spool. If the line becomes twisted or tangled, it can create weak points or knots that compromise its strength.
    Use Line Conditioner: Line conditioner products are designed to reduce memory and increase the flexibility of fishing line. Applying a line conditioner before storing the line can help maintain its performance.
    Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Extreme heat or cold can affect the properties of monofilament line. Store it in a temperature-controlled environment to prevent any negative effects.
    Label Spools: If you have different types or strengths of monofilament line, consider labeling the spools to quickly identify them without having to unspool the line.
    Regular Inspection: Before each fishing trip, inspect your monofilament line for signs of wear, nicks, or abrasions. If you notice any damage, it's best to replace the line to prevent losing a fish due to a weakened line.
    Replace Old Line: Monofilament fishing line can degrade over time, even when stored properly. As a general guideline, consider replacing your monofilament line at least once a year or more frequently if you fish frequently or notice any signs of deterioration.
    By following these storage tips, you can ensure that your monofilament fishing line Dubai remains in good condition, maintaining its strength and performance for successful fishing trips.

12. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

Nothing to do with fishing but i started to wonder what happens with your Dyneema or Kevlar vest.My Mono lines from Dyneema are now five years and have the same tested breakpoint.

13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Interesting topic. I used to use braided line on battle kites in Detroit. That stuff had certainly been on Grandpa's bait casting reel since the 50's, so a good twenty years old. Tough stuff. I need to see if I can get a spool.

I store my ultra lite rods on the back parcel shelf of my car. I know. I know. Not good for them.
    They sit in the Carolina sun all year, and have for about 15 years in this car. When I go fishing I'll test the line for strength. Both rods have 4lb line, so it's not hard to test. I haven't replaced any line in at least five years. Never lost a lure or a fish, and can bend tree branches in from the bank to recover poorly cast lures way further than you'd expect from my ultra lite line. I have no idea what brand it is, but it works.

My spare line is all in the house, in an old dresser drawer, so it's pampered compared to the stuff I use.

My surf rods have had the same 30lb mono line on them since the kids were little. They're in their mid 30's now. It's been a few years since the big rods were out, but I was throwing three ounce weighted rigs half way across the Intracoastal Waterway with no issues.

Not a scientific study, and your mileage may vary. I've been surprised to find the line and rods in the car aren't in terrible shape in the sun, but that hasn't been the case here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Monofilament is a good line for sewing skin if necessary.
    AS for longevity my son prefers Spider wire. which is woven.

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I went to braided a few years ago. I'm never going back to mono.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Got a few poles around here, Time to upgrade in the line dept.
    Thanks !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7