Fiskars brush axe

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by gunbunny, Jul 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I recently purchased a pair of Fiskars' brush axes. http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking/Brush-Axe

When I picked them up in the gardening tool isle of the local Tractor Supply store, I was impressed by their weight and balance. At first look, the blade appeared to be thicker than your average machete, and had a slight hook shape to it much like a pineapple machete or the US aircrew survival machete design. $25 each and out the door I went.

It didn't take long for a few brush and tree problems to present themselves so I could put the little choppers to the test. I was pleasently supprised by how the tool handled. Since the blade isn't as long as a traditional machete, the handle was made longer so you could swing it with some force. The edge is a simple, double sided grind. The handle is molded to the blade, I don't know how long the tang is, but it has to be down the handle pretty far; you can strike with the blade near the tip and plant it pretty deep into a tree without the handle feeling the least bit wobbly.

The very tip of the blade is blunt. When you power through vegitation and continue on through, and strike the ground or a rock, you will not hit (like you do with a traditional machete) with the sharpened part of the blade. Trust me, you do cut through stuff with this blade. I found myself cutting clean through 1 and 1 1/2 inch birch branches in one swipe. I really had to watch when I used a downward angle, as most branches offered little resistance, and my follow through came uncomfortably close to my legs. You have to watch the follow-through with these!

I would up cutting down a small 6 in pine tree later in the week, and it was felled in a few minutes and some angled chops to both sides. The blade sinks pretty deep into these soft woods, and doesn't stick with too much force, allowing me to pull the blade out for another wack with just a jerk of the handle.

The "sheath" that comes with the brush axe is good for storing it on the wall of the garage, but not very useful for carrying. It is a molded plastic box-like container with a hinged lever. It relies on the hole in the blade to locate it in the sheath and the lever to lock it in place. I will have to hunt around for someone to make me a belt carry sheath.

At some point in the near future, I'm going to get the lansky sharpener set out and try to put a shaving edge on it. I'm curious just to see how long it can hold it and if it makes it any better of a cutting instrument.

Grand58742, Bison_Forge and Doug like this.
  2. beast

beast backwoodsman

looks quite a bit like an old fashioned brush axe
    just the blade isnt offset from the handle
    and the handle is shorter
    imagine a single bit axe handle with your blade mounted in front of it
    thats an old fashioned brush axe
    very handy and powerful tools in their day, ive cut a lot of brush and small trees with one

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have the Gerber Brush Thinner, nearly identical in the blade, but the handle has a full length rubber grip, and the nylon sheath can be worn on the belt horizontally or vertically.
    It comes new with the cutting edge 'semi-sharp', so does need a bit of honing.

Gerber Brush Thinner

A very useful tool. Great for the hunting lease, carrying in the canoe, and for camp chores.

I and a hunting buddy each got one at our local Outfitter shop. Similar price to the Fiscars model.

4. beast

beast backwoodsman

spent the day out clearin bush for my new cabin
    as usual i used my machete and got thinkin bout that brush axe
    may see bout makin one and seein how it works
    but i think ill add a longer handle, like the old brush axes

5. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

That is like the tool called a sling blade, that the movie was named after. I am used to it having a 2.5-3.5 ft handle though. Cut tons of brush out of ditches and along fence and road edges with those in my youth.

6. bad_karma00

bad_karma00 Monkey+

Gerber and Fiskars are basically the same company, I think. At least they used to be. I think Fiskars owns Gerber. These thing look really handy, and that's a good price. Thanks for the post. Think I'll look at me one:)

7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I do like the style of those brush axes. Perfect for close to the ground one-handed chopping. Hate to buy blades made from unknown 'drop-forged' steel though.

But for two-handed brush clearing I think Cold Steel's Panga machete might be more what Huntinbull is talking about.

Two Handed Panga Machete

This thing is a beast. Think Capt. Willard in Apocalypse Now! That poor cow!

Or the two-handed Latin machete.

Two Handed 21" Latin Machete

Wish CS actually made a two-handed machete with the blade shaped like the Fiskars/Gerber.

Byte

8. beast

beast backwoodsman

ive got 2 machetes, both one handed use
    one has a 24 inch blade
    the other a 32 inch blade
    the 24 is thick, not as thick as the 1st one i made, 1/4 in
    it got real heavy after a couple hours use
    but i can take down a 1.75 in thick tree in one swat
    the long one is great for close to the ground cutting
    longer reach, less bending
    but it sucks for normal stuff, the balance is good
    but the length gets in the way
    probly cuz im just to used to the shorter one...lol
    if i had a longer version of that brush axe that would be good for two hands
    still doodling it on paper, will prolly hammer one out this winter
    but ill use leather for the grip, center punched out to slide over the tang

1. sasquatch91
  2. The_Prepared
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Witch Doctor 01
  5. AndyinEverson
  6. Motomom34
  7. oil pan 4
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. chelloveck