Fitbit, A Cool New Device To Track Fitness Activities

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by TXKajun, Sep 29, 2015.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

A couple of weeks ago, I was returning home from a business trip and happened to be seated next to an almost-doctor I mentioned I was curious about what time it was and she raised her left wrist and blink! Her watch came on and displayed the time. I had never seen anything like that, so I asked her about it. Turns out it was a fitbit Charger HR fitness activity monitor. She showed me on her cell phone the fitbit website and how it not only tracked how many steps a person does a day, but also gave current heart rate , distance traveled that day, # of stairs climbed, calories used, plus it has a function that monitors your sleep.....how long and how efficient.

I started a fitness program a few months ago to help with overall physical well being, so the timing is perfect.

When I got home, I started checking it out and was impressed enough to buy one. It arrived yesterday evening and I've gotten it set up and signed up for the fitbit website. After 2 days, I am more impressed...learning more how it works and what it can be used for. Also, the "cool factor" is over the moon! LOL

I dont work for fitbit and I'm not getting anything from them for this review. :)

Kajun

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I used one for about a year and it really shed's light on your activity level. Just as a heads up, if you do any type of outdoors work, the vibration of tools, saws, motors and such can produce a false reading of additional activity. I started taking it off when I did these kind of activities to not give myself a false sense of achievement hitting a bazillion steps..... haha. Enjoy your new tool!!! :)

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Good post @TXKajun my Mom and both Sisters use it and love it... they keep track of each other and compare... Mom's mid 80's and in great health... does Senior Tai Chi at the Mall and walks everyday... works for them!

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  4. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

If you can get friends and family using it, you can create some great competitions. A great motivator even on days you are not feeling like exercise.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You guys know if it will track biking too? And will it show a map image of where you went?

So far, I just use the free MapMyRun app. Doesn't show as much as the FitBit, I am sure, but it shows distance, speed, elevation and a gps map. I like the idea of not having to turn an app off and on.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick just got one.... So, We will see just what she will do with it...

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

A friend on Facebook just posted that she thinks she just broke her 2nd one

8. Yard Dart

It happens.... after my second one that I broke, I gave up using them. They are not built for running the tough mudder!!!!

Ganado likes this.
  9. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

haha yeah, she's a serious runner herself, was at the Boston Marathon when it was bombed actually. She was physically unhurt at least.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

It's been 2 months now since I put my Fitbit on my wrist and actually got fairly serious about getting back into some semblance of health. I have followed the Fitbit plan of less calories in and more calories out and trying for 10,000 steps a day.

I haven't done exceptionally well on the 10K steps, but do manage to get 7,500 almost every day, if not more. I've been good about the calories thing, except for the last couple of days. But Thanksgiving food doesn't have any calories, right?? LOL

I was discouraged the first few weeks because I went up in weight 2 lbs. After about a month, I noticed my pants were slipping down more than they had before. I got really discouraged about 2 weeks ago and was ready to call it quits, but one morning I stepped on the scale and I was down 9 lbs! WHOA!! Sweetie had bought me a pair of pants that were 2" smaller than I was wearing as a kind of "test" and last week, I put them on comfortably and wore them all day with no problem. Waist now down 2".

The most amazing thing of all, though, kind of snuck up on me. I think I've posted about finally seeing a pulmonologist about possible COPD and was diagnosed with mild COPD and put on a new inhalant med. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed some pretty significant improvements, including being able to go farther, faster and even able to climb stairs (I have to pay attention to my breathing when I do stairs, but have done as many as 5 flights at a time now!). I've been using our treadmill at home and one at work and have gone from barely being able to hoof it a quarter mile to today when I did 1 1/2 miles.....34 minutes....then went and brought in 4 armloads of firewood....and was barely breathing hard! WOOHOOO!!!

Needless to say, I'm going to keep this up. :)

Kajun

11. weaselhawk

weaselhawk Guest

anyone seen the fitbit hack lol it was a huge gift last winter wife buying them for there husband well the hack you wear it but dont work out load hack it tells wife how much you been working out it has a option to send random nice txt msg to her to like in the blue durring the day will send her a txt hi honey nothing up was just thinking about you.

12. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

13. Yard Dart

I think this is just another case of a frivolous lawsuit......

I found the dang thing actually reflected my sleep pretty accurate. When I went to bed... my 1 AM patrol ;), and when I woke up..... In general, when I had a bad nights sleep, or felt like I slept well.... the Fitbit reflected that and just affirmed what I felt was my sleep.

Dude is probably just some guy angling on a settlement for B.S.
    It is just a tool, use at the buyers discretion.... :rolleyes:

svjoe likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am confused. Why does anyone need a gadget to track their sleep? I know when I go to bed and when I get up. I know if I have a good night or a bad night. It doesn't take a fitbit to tell me if I slept like crap.

Homer Simpson, Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  15. Yard Dart

What is all the hate moto....need a nap?!:p
    It is just an extra feature.......LOL.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have a stalker phone that keeps track of my steps or something. Since I leave it and do not carry it 24/7 it looks like I am very inactive. Jr told me that I need to increase my activities but I pointed out I was not using it properly.

PS- I took a nap on Saturday. I slept good- no fitbit needed to figure that.

Yard Dart likes this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@TXKajun do you have an up-date on your fitbit? @Bear you mentioned your Mom and sister had fitbits, do they like them still? @BTPost did Alaskachic like and use her fitbit?

They have a fitbit HR alta and Mother's Day is coming. Unsure if it would be easy for Mom to use or if it is worth the money. Any and all thoughts on fitbits are wanted.

18. Yard Dart

At a certain point, the ones we had would no longer hold a charge..... maybe after 6 months or so.
    Tossed them and never bought another. The new versions are interesting, but I have not gone back and picked another one up.

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was talking to an elderly woman and she said her fitbit tells her when she has not walked enough and that she needs to move. I think that is interesting. We have become such an idle society.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Dunerunner
  17. dagdevıren
  18. DarkLight
  19. wideym
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7