Flashlight - no battery

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Ganado, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

snake6264, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Nope

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have a Goal Zero camp light that works off of solar.... had it for years and still works fine.

4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Never have tried one. Been meaning to pick one up just to have around in case it does turn out to be an asset. Might look into the one YardDart mentioned. Will be watching this thread for some recommendations.

HK_User, sec_monkey and snake6264 like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Lighthouse Core Rechargeable Lantern & USB Power Hub

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

HK_User, sec_monkey, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  8. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Yep still have on, stilla pita to use. Capacitor can go bad (drys out)... Now use LED lights of several varieties all of which use the 18650 Lii battery and USB chargable. Plus will also help charge my phone in a pinch. One of my favs is an LED clamp light and a USB power bank. Goes with me everywhere I travel.

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Dynamo torches are handy, if annoying. The better ones have a rechargeable battery so that continous operation of the charger is not required. The best ones have a USB charging port.

Like many mechnical things with moving parts...they will wear out or break over time. Hopefully not at a time that is maximally incovenient.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I've had several years ago. We got several years of use out of the Russian ones that had a lever you kept squeezing to keep the light going. Then some were similar to what you have pictures, those didn't seem to last very long. Now we just use led lights with rechargeable 18650 batteries.

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've got both of those, and have abused them by leaving them in the hot car for years. In a pinch I'm sure they'd both work IF I had a free hand or two to crank or shake them to illuminate what I needed to see. Noisy, annoying, and cheaply made. I think you'd be better off for light with some solar garden lights that you bring inside at night. I've got some of these that are at least 5 years old and still work.

This one doesn't take batteries, and it's 98 years old. Still works like new.

[​IMG]

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@Ganado I wouldn't use the shake lights, they are pure trash.

Here's what I bought years ago, still have about half a dozen around the house, in backpacks, in the car, etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFK7BS/?tag=survivalmonke-20

DSC00310.JPG
    DSC00311.JPG
    I like them, I really do. Sure, there are many products out there on the market that can be improved upon, and this is no exception. It would serve them right to make the crank arm steel and have it connect firmly, but if you're not really cranking on this thing, it will keep working for years to come. I've only had one of these give me trouble, and it still works, I just need to be more careful with it because the crank will skip once in a while, indicating I'm cranking too fast. At night when I use these lights, they throw off a decent amount of light, it's nothing to brag about, though. These little things maintain a charge pretty well, more than a handful of minutes before the light starts to dim, and that's nothing a little cranking can't solve.
    These are not the best option for quality of lighting, but for emergencies, I wouldn't look any further. No fuel, no batteries, no fuss.

13. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I had a Baygen unit years ago. It had a wind up clock type spring that spun a small generator in the unit

This was the size of a football that gave off some good light for about 20 minutes. I had to discard it some time ago after I could not find any bulb replacements.

sec_monkey and Ganado like this.
  14. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Too bad it, was a good setup... These days an LED replacement would have been available. If you still have it post the bulb info and I will find a replacement for you. What can I say, hate to let anything go to waste...

sec_monkey and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

the solar powered lamps i have are great but you have to charge em everyday. Same issue with my small solar power packs. Just not that efficient to actually use. I have small led flash lights with batteries and they are great, just looking at the 2nd type of backup for emergency lighting and wondering if these were a good option. I didnt care for the 2 i had. one was no good and the other is still running.

thanks for the ideas and tips!

16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Pro tip

If you have a 'crank' flashlight or radio - take the time to change up the internal battery about 2 or 3 x a year. Like this
    [​IMG]

Otherwise the installed battery will suffer from cell reversal. Then, what you have is junk - when you want flashlight or radio....

SB21, Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  17. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

It went into a box of other nick nacks that I donated to my local Mission thrift store.

18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I keep a solar led hanging under the dinning room light and it stays charged from the dinning light.
    Always know where it is and always charged.

SB21 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Hanzo
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Motomom34
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Prepper12
  7. Big Ron
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. ED GEiN
  11. GrayGhost
  12. hot diggity
  13. Hillbilly549
  14. OldDude49
  15. Papa_asf130