Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Hanzo
    Sounds like a winner... been ono for a good burger or pastrami... or plate lunch ;)
    Bully

2. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Sorry for the long absence on these... busy with Family, Projects and such....

Had a couple members waiting patiently for a Smalls Striker.... and finally got a chance to forge and heat treat this weekend so made up a few of these too...

I can't believe it's been 6 months since I've forged these... but I forged and gave away over 60 of the Smalls kits over Christmas for a great cause.... so I gotta tell you... it was good to take a break from forging these... ;)

Anyway... I had a couple members ask me about these long ago and I thank them for their patience... forged up 8 Smalls (3 are already spoken for so 5 are available as kits)...
    $25 shipped insured with tracking to the USA...

Also love to free forge and add a little fun to the strikers... so the bottom are the result of me just having fun! ;)

I figured those "Heart Strikers" might be just thing for someone special (TOWMBO in your life ... or as a gag gift.... :0) these are too big to fit the Smalls altoid tin... the other two are me just being me ;)

Same price for a kit... with an altoids tin, some flint, char etc...
    $25 shipped insured with tracking to the USA!....

Each one is hand forged, heat treated and tested by me for easy and maximum sparks...

Thanks for looking...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

PS... I gave my own personal striker to the Scoutmaster who was teaching his troop how to start fire with flint and steel... so I won't feel bad if at least one of these are left ;)

Attached Files:

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear's flint strikers are awesome!! You can get sparks and an ember with one strike.

Did the scoutmaster do a review of your gift? That would be great if he did. Especially if there are pictures.

@Bear, in your neck of the woods. Want to grab a quick lunch?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402356503.275185.

Lunch was a Loco Moké. Eggs and a perfect medium rare ribeye on a bed of rice and covered with gravy. Came with some homemade bread. Only thing that would make it better is some bacon and lilikoi pancakes on the side.

But since this was my after tai chi meal, had to eat like.

Bear and ghrit like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Brought home lilikoi pancakes for the wifee. As you can see from pathetic decorating attempt, I will not be a baker. Or a cake decorator.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402359759.228706.

Bear and Brokor like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Hey Bear, save a large one for me if you could, please. It will be for my nephew, he's already taller than I am...
    Will get back to you in a week or two, no hurry.

:)

7. Bear

No problem @Brokor I'll set a large one aside for you... Thanks...

Brokor likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to say, I tried mightily for months (intermittently) to get a spark with flint and steel with zero success. Yesterday, it sparked. No way I'll count on it for fire making until I can get a spark on nearly every strike. Practice continues --

(Need more practice with the bow drill, too.)

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Practice makes perfect.

10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

No sir. While I understand and generally agree with the underlying sentiment, it is incorrect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice incorrectly your entire life, you will never get it right, much less perfect.

Hanzo and kellory like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

For most people, especially me, they will never get to do anything perfectly. Let alone once. I think the key is to be consistently very good. That way, you can get the occasional perfect if you are lucky. But by being consistently very good, you make your own luck. And your skill will most likely be dependable whenever you need it.

Malcom Gladwell says 10,000 hours to get really good at something. The Chinese have something similar...10,000 days of training to get very skilled. And yet another saying that I tell my students... You don't need to fear the man who has 10,000 moves. You need to fear the man with one move practiced 10,000 times. I didn't say woman, because being a guy, I might be afraid of the woman with 10,000 moves.

Brokor and kellory like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

lol well said.

After you are well trained and it becomes second nature, something fantastic happens. If you trained properly, you may realize it was innate all along. Think about that for a moment. ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Lol. Like sculpture is not the building of an image in three D, it is removing anything that does not look like a statue....

Brokor and Hanzo like this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Ganado