Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you have the time, I bet you could tight weave grasses into a square and place into a tin, then try to make it into char cloth per usual. The edges might turn to ash, but I am willing to bet if it is done right, there would be usable material left. I am experimenting with some chaga right now...can't ignore the dried fungus!!

Bear, HK_User and kellory like this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Bear, these are just awesome - cutting the flint to match the container is brilliant!!!

Bear likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I like the Trademark as well as the article and the artistic work in steel.

Bear likes this.
  4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I'll take a pic and post it... not sure...

5. Bear

I'm gonna need to try that... lots of natural fiber materials here I could experiment with... I was thinking about chaga... gotta see if I can get it to catch a spark... and then maybe try some charring :0) Let me know how it works out :0)

6. Bear

Thanks ... time to teach that little girl of yours how to make a fire with flint and steel? :0) the "Smalls" are kid sized purposely :0)

I sure wish I was was "brilliant"... well maybe this time :0)

Thanks again @melbo

B

7. Bear

Thanks... um... which Trademark?.... appreciate the comment... nice to have form and function :0)

Bully

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I think he was referring to the bear paw stamped into the box lids. But it could have been a reference to the hot stamp bear paw in the striker, or the the drimmeled word bear on the stone....

Bear likes this.
  9. HK_User

The Bear Paw in the Striker is in my eye a TRADEMARK. Bear will see my trademark soon. I have produced a few items in this world and they are marked with my Family Cattle Brand, just as Bear marks his work. I have also used the Trademark as a micro dot in AutoCad drawings complete with time and date. I once backed a thief (he wanted to steal my work) into a tight corner using my brand.

BTW I was refering to the intials on the hot stamped striker. It is a lot like a Cattle Brand and hard to remove or change. I like it. And it does look a bit like a Bear's Paw.

YMMV

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Bear and kellory like this.
  10. kellory

I see it, and I like that it's there. I was making pointed suggestions.;) I also mark my finest works, with a shield device, registered to me alone.

Bear likes this.
  11. HK_User

Went walking this AM and found the perfect replacement for Char Cloth. Now it is seasonal but no need for any prep. This is milk weed fluff, the stuff that erupts from the seed pod that looks a lot like Okra. Pictures later.

kellory likes this.
  12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

13. kellory

Sorry, got distracted.

14. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Wow Bear! These are awesome. Count me in for at least one setup too. However you wind up putting them together works just fine for me. I've not a single creative streak in me so my skill to produce anything in trade is nil... Plain ole FRN's will have to be my trade. When you've figured it all up just let me know.

Regular altoid size works for me. Don't have large hands like some of you neanderthals but those itty bitty ones just look too small. :love: And finding a decent piece of chert around here is pert near impossible. Besides, I wouldn't know it if it bit me!

Byte

15. Bear

sm ga.JPG
    O.K.
    Here it is Friday the 13th!.... Brrrrrr... but us "Bush Monkeys" laugh at such silly non-sense ! :0)
    I say it's Lucky Friday the 13th! and in true "Bush Monkey" fashion (and Monty Python tradition)... I fart in bad luck's general direction !... :0)
    Here's a give away to for all you lucky hairy simeons :0)
    Say that you are in and I'll use a random number generator and pic the winners on Sunday night... 8pm Hawaii time :0)
    3 chances at an assortment of steel and flint kits... (2 Bush Monkeys who already bartered a couple will automatically be entered in all fairness :0)
    so their you go....
    Happy Friday the 13th!
    Bear

I'll pm folks who are interested in these after this is done and I have more available :0)
    So I don't miss anyone... hope I got everyone on this thread :0) @Brokor @ghrit @HK_User @BTPost @kellory @cdnboy66 @Byte @melbo
    @Witch Doctor 01 @Sapper John @Seacowboys

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Brokor likes this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Thanks I appreciate it...

Bear likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Looking forward to the PM....

Bear likes this.
  18. kellory

I have a barter in mind, it may be assembled tomorrow. (I hope) if it works as designed, it's yours. If not, then cash.;)

Bear likes this.
  19. HK_User

I'm in,

Thanks Bear I'll be lookin forward to my winning number!!

OTOH, just got back from town and found your box from the USPS and am very happy with the products. As you said, I did need to remove the anti surf coating on the striker with soap and water and got good sparks on the 2nd try.

The size are fine wtih me and also sign me up for the standard size if'n you find time to make those, got some kids with big hands and knuckle dragging arms, Barter or FRNs your choice.

Thanks again

20. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Thanks again for yet another generous act for the Monkey! You rock Bear!

Bear and kellory like this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Ganado