Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Bear - I'm in and I need to know what you have in the way of Chete's. The wife said I can get one but I have to wait until Christmas...:(

PS - If I don't win I'd be willing to buy one (possibly two, small and large), and I'll throw in a copy of each of my books.

Bear likes this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have to say, this is looking pretty cool! I haven't had time to really practice much, but I will be!

I'm sure Bear will find many uses for what I sent him. ;)
    This char cloth looks amazing...
    I am gonna make a nice leather accessory bag to wear on the belt for all this.
    DSC00042.JPG

Bear likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Cool Story... looking forward to seeing it :0)
    I have a couple touchmarks for my forged items...
    If you look closely it is the letters JDH surrounded by a C.
    Another has my family crest... and another is simply my full name :0) I use them for different items and purposes...

Thanks @HK_User

Bear

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  4. Bear

Thanks... seems like we all take pride in our work :0) someday would love to see the "shield" :0)

Thanks again @kellory

Bear

kellory likes this.
  5. Bear

Good luck with the drawing!

Well aren't Wives "Special" ?!? (in my best Saturday Night Live "Church Lady" voice :0)
    Just kidding... don't want to get in trouble... they really keep us balanced and sane most of the time :0)

Got a Model 1 Night Monkey as described in the supporters forum.... pm me and we can talk further :0)

Thanks for the ps... working on some more this weekend... :0)

Thanks again @DarkLight

Bear

6. Bear

Thanks... glad it arrived safely and that you like it... yup ... with a little practice you will find you can strike a spark with the gentlest of hits on the flint :0) Saves the flint and you gain control....

I make that char cloth is made from a very specific material to catch the sparks and hold them to ignite it... if you look closely it has a mini honey comb like texture to catch the sparks... the material is called "Monks cloth"... 100% cotton and works better than anything else I've tried... so far :0)

Can't wait to see the leather you come up :0) You do great stuff...

Thanks @Brokor
    Bear

Brokor likes this.
  7. Bear

I have a pic of the bark behind the pic of the give away... is that Paper Birch?
    Thanks @ghrit
    Bear

8. Bear

I love barter! can't wait :0) gotta keep those skills alive... even if it's just between us Bush Monkeys :0)
    Thanks @kellory
    Bear

kellory likes this.
  9. Bear

Thanks @Sapper John .... yuppers... Monkeys... especially Bush Monkeys ... Rock!... or at least strike their steel on it :0)

Good luck with the drawing :0)

Bear

10. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

In .... Like flint

You're a good one Bear!!

Bear likes this.
  11. Bear

Gotcha down @cdnboy66 ! :0) LOL... forgot that one... "In like flint"... now you're showing your age :0)

Thanks for compliment... right back atcha,

Bear

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That reference is incorrect. the phrase was "In like Flynn" refereed to Errol Flynn and his party days.:p;)

Bear likes this.
  13. Bear

@kellory Dude!!!!.... now you are really showing your age :0) James Colburn is one thing... Errol Flynn ?!? Yikes....

Nah... joking of course... Bush Monkeys are even better than fine wine... in all ways! :0)

kellory likes this.
  14. kellory

I used to work in a movie theater, and I enjoy history. I have studied much earlier material than that, my friend. I am truly a faunt of useless knowledge.;) The phrase comes from the fact that no party was complete without him, he had an "in" to every party, and any guest of his was welcome as well. he was well known for showy entrances, such as swinging in on a chandelier.:cool:

Bear likes this.
  15. Bear

Great story... and no such thing as useless knowledge... I enjoyed that and learned something new... now we can all be safe in the knowledge that we are still in our teens... or at the most... early 20's... :0)

16. kellory

Perhaps, one day, I will have you make me a stamp for it....;):cool::D

Bear likes this.
  17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Only a little off topic here but a good tinder is "marlin". It's nothing more than tarred jute twine. Seems to take a spark well. OK back to the original direction.

Bear likes this.
  18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

AKA as Hemp Twine, I have used this in making sew in grommets in canvas material, as well as water tite stuffing tubes with armored cable as packing. Make the grommet by wraping the marlin twine in a tight circle as heavy and as big as needed. Wrap the marlin circle with flat lacing waxed nylon wrap, the kind for making up a circuit harness for small electronices, make it tight and solid. Sew the combo hemp and nylon lacing into the canvas. Better than any brass grommet especially around lt water.

hemp-rope-tarred-400x.

19. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

K....I was aware of the saying being " in like Flynn" but was trying to be punny.....
    However, I did not know it was in reference to Errol Flynn

Bear and kellory like this.
  20. kellory

@Bear, my trade item is built,and the glue is setting, perhaps by tomorrow, I can test it. It is a one of a kind, so we will see. Are you familiar with "Purple Heart wood"?;)

Bear likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Ganado