Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just don't let any one steel your flint. Or you'll be the punk.

Bear, kellory, BTPost and 1 other person like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@Bear, what do you see?;)
    IMG_20130916_210046_344. IMG_20130916_204737_892. IMG_20130916_210238_108. IMG_20130916_210109_158. IMG_20130916_204834_412. IMG_20130917_071709_112.

Georgia_Boy and Bear like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Byte LOL... Yup will keep you all apprised... working on it this week and the weekend... :0) Haven't forgotten all the interest in these... Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  4. Bear

@kellory Umm... hmmm.... a Dewalt tool case, a pencil, some steel wool, an angle tool, wheels, tile wall, glue, a lathe, a spray can, a wire mesh thingy, a can of Pringles and a hand ????

Did I miss anything :0) ????

Just kidding... that is an awesome Fire Piston !!!!!... you make your own????
    Is the body purple heart?
    What is the shaft make of ?
    What do you use for the gasket? O ring?

Too Cool! did she fire up?

That's awesome... those are pretty hard to make... :0)

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

So far, to paraphrase Edison, I now know 6 ways to not make a fire piston!
    First pic is raw purple heart, what is left after splitting the block. Purple heart is %30 heavier but twice as dense as oak, so it is very hard, and slow to work with.
    The narrow tube with the hole, was the first tube for the piston, but upon first compression, split down the grain. (I was attempting to keep it of similar size to the metal ones, but that was not to be)
    The shaft is white oak( because I could not get purple heart as a dowel rod. This was to be my trade item, but until I can prove it works correctly, it is not offered. This was all hand tools, the small spindle lathe in the background, needs a motor and a few toolings, before it could be used to produce more. The stain is a clear marine stain, as my diamondcote clear had dried up. But I thought you would like the color to it. Small hollow in the head for char cloth.

Bear and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  6. HK_User

Classy! Along that same line I am attempting to make a fire piston with non descript junk items. Why? Well just to see if I can. Outer section is a used "Fuse Body" the type with screw on ends since the fuse link is replaceable. This makes it look just like a throw away item. Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Bear and kellory like this.
  7. Bear

@kellory That is awesome... ! I actually like fire pistons... that they operate on the same concept as a diesel engine always fascinated me... that with enough pressure fast enough... you can actually create enough heat to ignite something... very very cool!

kellory likes this.
  8. Bear

@HK_User Awesome!... keep us informed :0)

I actually like the idea of using "repurposed" items and a little bit of ingenuity and creativity to make something useful... I think that falls under the category of "Bushcraft"... whether its Urban Bushcraft or Out There Bushcraft... I am always looking at things that I see or read about and say to myself... "I think I can make that..." :0) classic "can do" mentality our Grandfathers and Grandmothers all had and grew up teaching to our parents :0)

Remember ... your "mind" is the ultimate tool in anything, anywhere and anytime... JMHO :0)

kellory likes this.
  9. HK_User

Hey Bear,

Just got the mail and was happily surprised. I guess I need to come by some day and take you and yours to a dinner.

You done potlatched me in the best Alaskan Tlingit style I have ever seen.

Great to have been done so well by an expert.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    Bear likes this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Received my package in the mail... all I can say is WOW! not only did I get the flint and steel set but a package of char cloth, jute, fat lighter, and other great goodies... thanks a lot...

Bear likes this.
  11. Bear

LOL... @HK_User ya making me blush under all this fur :0)

12. Bear

Glad it arrived safely @Witch Doctor 01 ! Always give them more than they expect ... is my my motto... :0) Hope you enjoy it!

13. HK_User

After the storm Flood works.JPG After the storm Got Punk 1.JPG After the flood, Fish Jar Gloves staff.JPG GOT PUNK?

Had a bit of rain and went out to check the fences etc. Salvaged items from such washed up material can be used for many things. The fence is a bit bent but the debris provided a minor source of food, a jar good for cooking or to carry food or water, and the PUNK, good to start fires after it is dry.
    The gloves, knife and staff are basic Hunter Gatherer tools.

14. Bear

Cool @HK_User ! Love pics of the outdoors and trekking around... I need to post more of those :0)

Gotta go find me some good punk wood that will take a spark from the strikers :0)

Where did the fish come from?

Mind if I ask what is the diameter of the base of your staff is?... wondering actually what most folks are carrying and what the base size is...
    Got an idea about that :0)

Anyway... today is a forging and hopefully a heat treating day.... so back later :0)

Have a great Saturday and thanks for sharing,

Bully

15. HK_User

The staff I carry most often is a very lightweight Rattan Bo Staff. At times I carry a very dense Staff cut from a tree that grows on my land, usually cut with a fork on the top end and a metal spike on the bottom. Spike on the bottom is from very large nail and can be used to pick up trash or persuade a Varmint to leave. All depends on what I'm up to. Size is a nominal 1 inch or so and at 6 feet it will reach a snake faster than I can draw and shoot my pistol.

The wood staff is best used on the cattle as you can gently push on a leg bone with the fork end, I'm not into raising a ruckus and beating on my cattle like some folks so I attempt to move them as another "superior" cow will do and that works best and it is something the cattle understand.

The fish washed from one of my ponds and was trapped in the overburden that I was clearing out on the fence line caused by the overflow of that pond. I stocked them several years ago and along with the Beaver they give balance to the waters.

Thanks for the package, just the thing to try out tomorrow.

HK

Bear likes this.
  16. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I have that same Kershaw, love it

Bear likes this.
  17. HK_User

Story on that. A guy at work liked mine so he went and bought one at lunch time.

He came back and unboxed it and ask me "Why's that cover over the serrated part?" DUH.....I said, maybe it's sharp? Now being a natural born hunter he tells me how he's never cut himself with a pocket knife. Yes you guessed it, he took off the cover, closed the blade and then flipped open the blade and promptly cut his thumb! Too much inbreeding in that shallow pool.

Ya' gotta be sharper than the tools you use.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Bear and kellory like this.
  18. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice fire piston. Need to dig mine out. 1 made of water buffalo horn and another made of lexan.

Bear likes this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have to say, this flint and steel sent by Bear is top notch! [winkthumb]

I've been practicing with the second batch of flint sent to me, and I can get sparks quite easily. With a little instruction from Bear, it was easy... [touchdown]

Bear likes this.
  20. HK_User

Bear,

Got something new I'll try in a day or so. I think it will be fine so watch your mail box.

Bear likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Ganado