Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I agree, nice stuff.
    My Fire Piston worked just OK and would be fine for emergencies, the inconsistent assembly line quality was fine for the "as used" part but not close enough to work well each time. So I'll make another type and then send pictures of both. The first is a "as found parts" and with the second I'll have to do some Lathe and solder work so it may be a bit more than some have the tools to make.

kellory and Bear like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Brokor glad you got it going... like riding a bike... pretty soon you'll be so good you'll be able to strike a spark of anything :0)

kellory likes this.
  3. Bear

@HK_User Cool!... I like surprises :0)

4. Bear

@HK_User ... there's an old saying... "good enough"... if it works its "golden" :0)

kellory likes this.
  5. Bear

Did I mention I got some forging and heat treating done yesterday and today :0)
    Some small for the folks that have been waiting... although I need to cut some flint to fit the Smalls tin... ran out.. :0( although... it should take too long :0)
    I'll pm the folks that were interested and waiting for this old fart to get er done! :0)

Also forged some larger sizes for the Monkeys with "Bear Paw" hands :0)... you know who you are :0)

Here's the pics and then I gotta eat something... starving ....

DSCF3290.JPG DSCF3292.JPG DSCF3293.JPG

Georgia_Boy, Brokor and Sapper John like this.
  6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Those are awesome! Isn't larger always better? :D

Byte

Bear likes this.
  7. Bear

LOL... @Byte unless you really believe the whole "size doesn't matter" line... :0)
    It's what you can do with it that matters ... really ... trust me... really... :0)

BTPost likes this.
  8. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Bear,
    THANK YOU!! I have yet to have a minute to actually try it out, but it looks amazing. Truly blessed and humbled by your generosity.
    I am on the hunt for an appropriate thank you.

Best Regards
    cdnboy66

Bear likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, the Mail Plane arrived, and lo and behold there was a Small FlatRate Box from my BEAR Buddy.... After opening it up and seeing the contents, both Momma, and I, can only say .... "WOW!!!!!" Momma couldn't believe the extra Goodies, you packed in there... Now she is trying to figure out just what she wants to make, with them. The Fire Kit was a BIG Hit, with the Close Neighbors, who were here for their Mail, and a slice of Pizza. The "Question of the Day" was "Does he mine his own flint?" and "Does he plan on selling these Kits any time soon?" So, we are in your debt, Bear... These are Beautiful.... and will be traveling with us, when we Road Trip around the FlatLands next month.....

Bear, HK_User and kellory like this.
  10. Bear

Aloha @cdnboy66 ,
    Thanks for the very kind words... that's all this old bear needs for a "thank you"...
    Hope you enjoy it and let me know if there's anything I can help with...
    Thanks again,
    Bear

11. Bear

Aloha @BTPost ,
    Glad it finally arrived and safely...
    Happy that you and Momma enjoyed the little "extras"...
    LOL... I wish there was a source of good flint here in the islands... I get mine from a guy I know and it is some of the very best stuff for knapping and sparks...
    I've got a bunch of the "Smalls" kits almost ready and 3 of the larger sizes I just forged that are up in my latest pics... yup... I'll be contacting those who were interested... let me know if anyone up there is interested :0)
    Nope debts between friends ... at least not Monkeys and Bears :0)...
    Thanks for the kind words... I really enjoy making these and enjoy it even more when folks like them :0)
    I hope they serve you well and strike many warm fires for you and Momma...
    Take Care,
    Bear

kellory and Brokor like this.
  12. Bear

DSCF3294.JPG @Brokor , @ghrit , @HK_User , @BTPost , @kellory , @cdnboy66 , @Witch Doctor 01 , @Sapper John , @Seacowboys , @melbo , @Byte , @DarkLight , @oldawg

Figured I catch everyone on this thread just in case, hope that's o.k.... and sorry to bother you if you weren't waiting... :0)

The "Smalls Kits" are finally ready :0) Smalls Striker, Perfect Fit Flint, Some Char Cloth and a Smalls tin.... I'll include a sharp shards of flint just in case the cut flint takes a few hits to spark.... and maybe a few extras :0)...
    Sorry for the delay ... wanted to make sure I had enough done this time... should be plenty for anyone who wants one or two :0) have a few that are not in the picture....
    $21.00 each shipped to the usa... priority, insured with tracking.... $5.80 of that is shipping if anyone is wondering....
    PM me if you are interested, want one or some or are early shopping for xmas :0)
    oh those big ones on the bottom might be spoken for already... but never hurts to ask :0)

Bear

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I'd like one of the large ones, if OK and if not then I will happily wait.

14. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I would like, if possible, one large and one small kit please.

Bear likes this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

When my exchange item is correct, I will ship it, and you may assign your own value to it, and respond as you see fit.:cool:

Bear likes this.
  16. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Totally in for at least one ( small one) , let me check and get back to you tomorrow

Bear likes this.
  17. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

PM sent.

Bear likes this.
  18. Bear

PMs responded to...

since I have a few requests for large ones... I'll forge up a few more tomorrow and let you folks know... I'll make enough for all the requests I have now and a few extras... :0)

@kellory... no worries... looking forward to it :0)

Thanks everyone,

Bear

Brokor likes this.
  19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@Bear, what is the name and source of the wood you used on the cleaver?

20. Bear

@kellory that wood is cedar burl... it is stabilized all the way through with resins... I picked it up years ago... like 8 if I recall... but it was from a guy who stopped doing it and went on to do other things... I lost contact with him... bummer.... I was looking for some more as well but haven't found a source... I'm sure you can find cedar burl though somewhere :0)

1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Ganado
  12. Dunerunner