Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Glad you like it @Sapper John ... thanks for the kind words...
    Hope you like that one and the kit I made for you... and happy you got a fire going... (something pretty primal about making a fire with these :0)

Thanks for the kind words... it's been my pleasure to make these and be able to get them to this special group of Monkeys :0)

Where's all the pics of the fires?????

Mahalo,

Bear

2. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Bear,it was really fun getting my fire started, it took a bunch of tries to get it going.I used your video as a guide and it was very helpful. I will post pictures as soon as I can get someone to teach me how to do it.

Bear and kellory like this.
  3. Bear

@Sapper John Glad it was fun ( because after all ... that's what it's all about :0) and that the video was helpful (I have a lot of fun making those, but am always worried I'll muck it up on camera :0) ....

I remember the first times I tried making a fire with flint and steel... I think I gave up like 3 times before I got fire :0) so you did great!

Can't wait to see the pics :0)

Bear

Sapper John likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The mailbox had a box in it this morning with you-know-what contained. I can see that I need some serious practice making a spark, the first couple tries, well, the less said the better. (Gotta watch that vid again ---)

Our resident bruin is remarkable, both in craftsmanship and generosity, not so?

Thanx, Bear.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Bear, Brokor and Sapper John like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yeah I find myself at a loss for words.

Bear and Sapper John like this.
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I keep prairie dogging and looking over at the mail area in hopes that mine has arrived. I had it sent to work to postpone the possible 3rd degree.

*ETA*
    Note - I love my wife very much and we ARE trying to get out of debt. That being said, the price was not exhorbitent and it isn't like we're destitute. I am HAPPY to pay for quality craftsmanship, just picking my battles. ;)

Bear, Sapper John and kellory like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

W H I P P E D . :p

Nah, Bear's stuff is worth it. Stand up to that woman! lol. Oh man, believe it or not, I understand. Just don't give them any ammunition they can use later. :)

Bear likes this.
  8. Bear

You guys are the best!... Thanks for all the kind words...[bow]
    I'm sure your wives are equally awesome... just blame it all on me and tell them a grumpy old bear forced you to do it [smsh]
    Then make sure you give them a big bear hug and slobbery passionate kiss :love:
    Oh... and don't forget to look pitiful and sorry when you do it... :(

Guess I should learn how to forge roses next ;)

9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Guess what I got in today's yesterday's mail? Oh yeah...you guessed it...maybe I should make the question a bit harder next time...

Amazing work, Bear. Got a small kit in the mail!!! Simply superb! Great sparks with the loose flint on the first few strikes. Have to work a nice edge into the shaped piece though. It's squared edge doesn't seem to be sharp enough to get the big sparks yet. I have a tin that I have been hanging onto to make char cloth so I'll make a batch up this weekend and make my first fire. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh and the extras...Nice! The fat wood smells like my Mosin. Weird.

Still want a large kit! FRN's will be on the way in the AM. Oh wait...it's 2am so make that later this morning. With the snow we got yesterday, I wish I was shipping myself. Hawaii would be nice change!

Byte

kellory and Bear like this.
  10. Bear

Glad you got it!... yup.. that's why I included the loose shard.... easier to get that first spark out of the knapped edge... a few strikes on the diamond cut flint or if you use the antler to knap a few edges... should get the cut flint up and going for you in no time... start at the edges corners of the squared flint... good platforms there to start the edges....

No worries.. got a few of the large strikers and flints ready to go... gonna need a pretty large box to ship yourself... but if you do... you'll be welcomed :0)

Post some pics of your char process and fire! that would be cool!

Thanks,

Bear

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Arrived!
    Emma loves the stag horn (which she immediately decided was either a saber tooth tiger's tooth or Hawaiian boar tooth!)

Going to find some time to play with it soon and will post pics.

One tip about tinder boxes made from tins that I learned from an old buckskin wearing Mountainman Rendezvous-er: toss the shoe polish can (or Altoids tin in this case) in the coals of a dying fire until the paint cooks off and it just begins to blacken. This will take the tinny sound out of it and generally deaden the noise of the flint and striker rattling around inside while you're walking. I have a couple of shoe polish cans set up this way although I couldn't locate them last night. I think I remember buffing them with a rag to remove any blackening that might get on the inside of a pocket/pack.

Good stuff @Bear

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    Sapper John, Brokor and Bear like this.
  12. HK_User

Good stuff in deed.

Years of physical abuse to my hands as well as some nerve damage from old injuries was causing me a problem in holding/controlling the striker. If all is well then striking is a very natural movement. Previously broken fingers that were set at home as a youth and others that had surgery and then pinned hindered me.

In my case Bear continued to send what I requested, at each step things got better. Bear's last send provided a well crafted striker which fits me that allows the striker to float around my fingers and has the balance to go where I intend.

Great product and I need to figure out how to pay this debt.

Thanks Bear.
    HK

Bear likes this.
  13. Bear

@melbo... Great tip on the tin.... gotta try that...
    Emma is awesome.... great imagination!
    Let us know how the fire making lesson goes with her ;0)

14. Bear

@HK_User sori to hear about the hands... glad that last one works better for you.... is it the snake one?
    and ... what debt?... no debt in my mind... just enjoy it :0)
    Bear

15. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Hey Bear, my wife and I spent the afternoon working on our fire lighting skills with our new flint and steel kits. It was a fun way to spend time together. I was showing her the way you showed us on your video, and she picked it up much quicker than I did. Of course she won't let me live it down. Next time I will know to keep my mouth shut and not tell her how long it took for me to get the hang of it. This is a true skill I feel everybody should learn.Great way to spend the day! Thanks for the opportunity to learn a new skill!

Witch Doctor 01, HK_User and Bear like this.
  16. Bear

@Sapper John What a great story!... glad you were able to share some quality time with your Wife over it... (oh and sorry she showed you up on the fire starting thing... :0) Of course we all know that you, being the gentleman that you are, let her beat you at fire starting :0) Nah... I think women seem to catch on to these sort of things faster than we do... must be Venus / Mars thingy :0)
    Anyway... Thanks for sharing and glad to help with the new skill...
    Bear

Sapper John and HK_User like this.
  17. HK_User

My plans did not work out as I hoped.

Then who's does.

None the less the sparks were made and other work was deemed more important.

I'll post pictures later of our Family Project that over rode the Flint and Steel.

Right now the cows are calling and the coffee is need of making.

So I'm late for WORK.

Later y'all

Bear likes this.
  18. HK_User

Morning Bear,

The Snake striker was the key to what was needed. It fit well and the stabiliity of the thumb helped.

The last one you sent provided the weight needed for the striker to work for me as it tended to float better in my hand and did not require muscle control to aim the striker.

Thanks

HK

Bear likes this.
  19. HK_User

Weather changed our plans and we had to work on a rebuild on an older muscle car. Yes the tanks are the same, the position on the cardboard box makes one appear larger.

This car has set for over 10 years as it was stored while a kid was in the service.

A portion of the work we did is below.

Fuel Tank Change Out.JPG

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Bear and Sapper John like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Paper bark tree. Awesome tinder. I use it for my tinder bundle often. Wonder how that chars up. Haven't tried that yet.

Bear likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Ganado