Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Sqweee! Got in to work this morning and had a package sitting in my mailbox! Woot!

Of course, I can't do anything with it just yet since I'm at my desk and I have a sneaking suspicion that if I started striking sparks at work I would get looks at the very least...

Bear, Sapper John and kellory like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Did you say "eat?" Man, let's go! How's Thursday?

Bear likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Father Daughter time... got your sheaths ready to go... maybe next week?

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo! Any time. Just let me know. Forgot this week is fall break. My girls have to plow through since my wife will be taking a trip for a few weeks. When she' shone, I have to take care of the homeschooling. So the wise plan is it get ahead before she leaves and we can play while she's away. Plus I'll be taking time off while she's gone.

Bear likes this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I neglected to mention that my package was waiting for me at work on Monday morning. I actually opened the box before I logged into my computer...priorities don'tcha know!

Dang @Bear, I don't know how you did it all for the price. Words fail me...and that's no mean feat!

I have been buried with life so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet and I'm willing to bet that HR would have some issues with me sparking in my cube. :) Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.

AWESOME work @Bear, you da MAN!

Bear likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Great idea on the leather pad. I gave always just held the tinder bundle.

What kind of leather is it and where do you get it? I like how supple it is too. I think I want to order some. Bear, you want some more when I get mine?

Bear likes this.
  7. Bear

@Hanzo No worries... I'll bring you some at lunch :0) it's really inexpensive leather splits... I picked up a side a long long time ago... not as tough as regular leather but it doesn't need to be ... and the split insulates well and doesn't seem to be bothered by the fire... so don't buy any... got a bunch of it...

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Then we gotta get steak. Steak for leather?

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

YouTube- How to strike a flint and steel
    Beginning to understand better. Thus far, no joy with the flint and steel kit not even a tiny spark. Looks like I need to knap the flint to get a right edge. It's on the things to do list for this week. I've never knapped before, either.

Bear likes this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

currently up to 9 ways "how not to make a fire piston". When it works, I'll ship it, not before.

Bear likes this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

In my case I found the larger loop striker Bear sent better for me.

The loop allowed the striker to float in my hand and sorta self alinged at a right angle. In this I had been trying to force the striker at the wrong angle. My hands are a bit shop worn and do not work like they use to, in this I mean the joints are stiff.

YMMV

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Bear likes this.
  12. Bear

I'll send you a piece of sharp flint... those cut flint need a bit of practice... careful with the knapping... easy to cut yourself... :(

13. Bear

Glad that's working for you... finding that the larger ones are easier to master for most... gonna forge up a bunch of the larger ones to have on hand if anyone is interested... don't like not having some ready to go :0)

14. Bear

Sounds like Edison and his filament :0)... only 991 more ways to go for success :0) (not sure if I got the right person or even the right number of tries... but hey... I'm an old fart monkey... so I'm allowed to improvise to make a point :0)
    I actually learn a lot from my "failures"... and "epic failures" :0) probably more than the ones I get right the first time....
    Problem solving and sticking with it... is the best part of mental exercise... and it's good for the soul and all sorts of other "preparedness"...
    JMHO

Bear

kellory likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thanks, but save the postage. A vid of knapping would be far more useful, eh?

16. lucky

lucky Monkey

Please pardon my interruption, but I wanted to note how very fortunate I was to have met Bear the other day. So gracious and generous beyond words! After reading this thread, I am embarrassed to say I didn't realize the standing of the man I met... like asking LeBron for help pumping up a basketball! Much thanks, Bear. I demonstrated to the scouts tonight and got a fire within ten seconds! And then acted like I do that all the time... lol. Will let you know how they do tomorrow at the Makahiki! --Mark

BTPost, Sapper John, Bear and 6 others like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yup, Bear is an awesome guy. Like LeBron, he would probably help you pump the basketball.

kellory, Sapper John and Bear like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We don't give our "Iron Monkey" Award to just any Yahoo..... In fact, that Monkey Award was created, just for Bear.....
    and now you know why....

Bear, Georgia_Boy and Hanzo like this.
  19. Bear

Good Morning Monkeys... Happy Saturday and Don't forget Mother's Day tomorrow ;)

Thanks for the kind words @Hanzo when's the next lunch... I'm gonna need some rattan soon ;)
    And thanks for the very generous and kind words @lucky

For all those who read this... what Mark didn't share is that he is the ScoutMaster for Troop 664 out of Mililani Hawaii... and that he has about 45 young adults that he so generously and selflessly makes time for in his very busy professional schedule. That is no small task....
    Go here to check them out Our Eagles | Boy Scout Troop 664

Once a year in Hawaii the Boy Scouts hold their Makahiki which is quite an undertaking...
    "The Makahiki is an annual event of the Aloha Council and is the oldest Scouting show in the United States of America. The first Makahiki was held in 1911 at Camp Bluegum in Aiea Heights, one year after Scouting arrived in the Hawaiian Islands."
    Go here for some more info
    About the Makahiki | Boy Scout Makahiki
    Boy Scouts Of America: Makahiki Kau Kau Card - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
    Makahiki 2013 Ala Moana Beach Park | Boy Scout Troop 664

Mark emailed me with a need for his Scouts for a Makahiki Competition and all I did was respond as I know all of you would have done for our young Monkeys.

I was honored and happy to help.

We are all given talents, skills, knowledge, wisdom and compassion... not to keep for ourselves or just in a tight circle, but to share when opportunities arise or to fill "voids" that are out there... Our future and that of our children, grandchildren and beyond, depends on what we do... how we help and act as role models and inspirations for the next generations... IMHO... that "butterfly effect" has a profound impact on the world we live in that the future for our children... in plain Monkey words... "It's important!"

Good people like @Hanzo (who is a leader for 4H and inspires young minds all the time... I think he has like 12-15 little Monkeys) and @lucky (Troop 664) are making a great difference in the lives of all of our families... maybe not directly... but someday... a family member, Child, Grandchild, Great Grandchid, a close friend, someone we know etc... may just need help, first aid, learn how to start a fire with flint and steel in 10 seconds ;) or just a smile on a very very dark day.... and one of @lucky or @Hanzo Scouts or 4H's or maybe someone those Scouts or 4H ers taught or inspired ... will be there to help and make a difference... ah... the Butterfly Effect... get it?????

So yeah... I was happy to help... more like honored indeed... Mark and Kel are humble awesome folks... who don't just talk a good story... they are making a difference... and that makes ALL the difference in the world...

I know there are other Monkeys who are doing the same in maybe the same or similar ways... big or small... I thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of my family's generations now and to come... "you make a difference!"

Sincerely,

Bear

PS... feel free to share your stories... you may just "inspire" someone to help... or at the very least... honor and thank Monkey for their time and help...

PSS Welcome to the forum @lucky

PSS Thanks for the kind words @BTPost ya'll are making me blush ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear, that is quite a mouthful there. But just like bear to deflect praise to others. You're a good man, buddy.

Lunch this week?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge