Flint search

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by hog, Apr 8, 2010.

1. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

Well I got sick and tired of not getting any decent flint so I made a trip to the north of the island to see what I could find.
    Up to now all I have been finding is crumbly flint due to the millenia spent in the sea, from the last ice age.
    This is the stony BLEAK beach where I went, no another soul for miles.
    [​IMG]
    The sand dunes form a barrier between the sea and the land.
    [​IMG]
    Hunkering down out of the wind.
    [​IMG]
    Aview of Scotland from here, sorry not a good pic.
    [​IMG]
    Sitting down for a brew.
    [​IMG]
    Found a flint nodule
    [​IMG]
    And after breaking it open, found what I was looking for, good black flakes of flint.
    [​IMG]
    Aview of the hills on my way back to the ranch
    [​IMG]
    Now my fire kit is sorted and with my steel get a spark every strike.

2. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Yes ive got to say thanks Boet for the flint you sent me,it is the best flint i have ever used and thats no joke Bud.

[beer]

[​IMG]

3. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

Thats a pleasure Bru.
    Flint here is rare but the good stuff is quality.

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Nice pics..... good find...
    Any amber up there?

5. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

No Amber around here Bru.
    Wish there was.

6. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

very cool. I wonder if there is nay near me........How would I find out?

7. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

Best thing is to get hold of a geological map of your area and see what deposits are there.

8. Saintnick001

Saintnick001 Monkey+

I'm in Florida and I hear there is supposed to be flint around but I'm having trouble finding any. Any tips of finding it around here?

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

start by looking online here;
    FGS County Geologic Maps

10. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

If you can find a local university geologist, you can get free, professional advice on where to look for what. No one listens to those guys in class (I know I didn't) and they are too happy to find someone interested in hearing them. If only I had been more attentive.

ETA: When it comes to having a good "flint eye", often times flint is in plain sight. You just have to know what you are looking for. We usually see flint in a finished form. It won't be like that on the ground. Depending on where you live, it can look different. The best way to train your eye is to go hunting with someone local. They can show you what "yours" looks like. I doubt I could show up in FL and find any either. I am real good at spotting here in TN. Never tried in AZ. After practice, I got real good in IZ. Also know the characteristics of flint. Look for the conchoidal fracture. No matter where you are, the fracture characteristics of flint never change.

11. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

When looking for flint take a small hammer as good flint rings when gently hit with a hammer,normally it has a white outside.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7