Floods and droughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by svjoe, Aug 31, 2016.

1. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Thought about this a few months ago:

We are seeing lots of flooding this year as well as a continuing drought on the left coast. Why cant we simply bring in tanker trucks (i.e. 18 wheelers), suck up all the damn flood water and haul it out west to give those Bubbas some relief? Seems like a win/win to me??

An I oversimplifying this or what??

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That could get pretty expensive , but its a thought . Maybe rail cars could be cheaper.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not could, would. Plus, just doing an eyeball estimate, there isn't enough rolling stock in existence world wide to move that much water fast enough to do any good for agriculture. One acre foot of precip is over 360,000 gallons; a LARGE over the road tanker can handle say 10,000 gallons. A rail tanker can handle 36K gallons more or less. Go with those numbers, and it's far better to wait out mother nature, sez me and maybe me only. That said, moving water into dry areas may well allow the population in place to wait it out for Momma's magic elixir to fall.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Two words, Pump Stations!!!

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not bad for an idea. Now all you need is pipelines. Knowing what we are dealing with permits for nat gas pipes in the roughly 100 mile range, have a blast with the thousand milers. Especially for intermittent 100 year storm services. I wish I had a good answer that was practical and readily doable.

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Flood waters would likely be classified hazmat due to all the crap in it (sewage, misc. chemicals)...that would shut things down quickly even if the infrastructure was in place.

7. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Seems to me an entrepreneur could get quite wealthy???? Government contract maybe??

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7