Recipe Flour...fried bread

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by brotherpoop, Oct 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. brotherpoop

brotherpoop Monkey+++

Some years ago I remember watching the news and they were unloading sacks of flour in some 3rd world country (the bags all said US on them) anyway the news anchor asked what do they do with them, "Mix the flour with a little water, flatten it, throw it on a flat rock in a fire."

1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder (powder vs. soda - less bitter taste)
    mix with warm water
    mix/knead to golf ball size and flatten
    2 tbsp vege oil in cast iron frying pan, low heat with cover about 10-15 mins
    PA280001(1).JPG

2. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I add a egg to mix myself, I prefer to add a brown egg, but it doesnt really matter what kind of egg you use. If you make a bigger ball and flatten it out, you could actually do an Indian Taco with it. Fried bread can be put in vaccuum bags sealed and they will last a real long time and taste great warmed with butter, or jam, or even butter mixed in maple syrup. However you wish to eat them.

3. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Brown egg??? What is a brown egg? What other colors are there?

4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Sounds a lot llike Hard Tack. [monkeyeating]

5. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Brown chicken egg. City dwellars dont see them often. It's just another chicken egg, its just a differant color, But I think its arcadia's that produce various colors Blue,green,mainly.

6. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Ahhhh...OK...here we have 2 kinds...normal and white shell...usually white shells are cheaper...commercial chicken feed. Normals are natural fed chicken...

7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I grew up eating fried dough. And we made our own syrup on the stove. Being poor back then was hell. These days 'poor' people have multiple flat screen TVs with cable and $4000 worth of rims on cars worth less!

Haven't made fried dough in years though. We made our ours a little sweet sometimes too. Kind of like different fry breads Native Americans make. Maybe I should make some to remind me of the olden days!

Byte

8. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

This made me LOL ... The truth will do that sometimes! [rofllmao]

My grandpa preferred fried bread over cornbread with his beans and ketchup. I haven't had any for years and years ... hmmmm ... :D

1. Ganado
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  5. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Ganado