Flying like a bird, real or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GYW5G2kbrKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Remarkable.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Very cool, IF real. It's been thought that human muscles simply cannot make this system work...... but maybe?

4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

With modern materials and mechanics I'd say it should certainly be possible. Could it be done solely with human muscle? Dunno. Some powered assist, however, does seem feasible. And might render extraordinary results to boot. This rig doesn't look to be all that nimble and/or maneuverable. Gotta start somewhere though!

Byte

5. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Claims he used Turnigy brushless motors yet I don't hear that distinctive Turnigy sound.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mothman ?...I've heard of him...I say Real....

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Certainly NOT Human Powered.... Not near enough Wingspan, compared to the one flown in the SoCal Desert, a few years back, and powered by a Human World Class Bicyclist. Remember that Humans can only develop about 100 Watts of energy during any sustained amount of time, and that is basically only done by World Class Athletes, and using their LEG Muscles. Certainly can NOT do that with Arms. That isn't much power to sustain flight.... I kept looking for the Tow Car, hidden in the trees, and pulling him with a thin Kevlar cable..... but that was just "Me"..... YMMV.....

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'll just call BS. actual take off pics viewed from right side of PILOT/BIRD thingy, kinda looks like some bad claymation and land of the lost.

JMNSHO.

9. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Look closely and see the wheel marks in the grass. They follow his flight path.

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

After further review...Still Real....

11. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I'm with BTPost on this one. [BSf]

You can't climb without excess horsepower, and to climb like that, you would need a few extra. The closest I've ever come is Para-gliding; pulled into the air by a motorcycle mounted to a trailer, with the rear wheel replaced with a winch drum, using 6mm spectra line. What a rush, and landing was like a dream. I'm determined to do that again, when I get the cash...

Anyway, here is a better example of what a man can do with technology and some guts/experience: Jeb Corliss " Grinding The Crack" - YouTube

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!
    (If I only had the money to do 100 or so more jumps, and get a wingsuit of my own.) Unfortunetly, Jeb Corliss almost killed himself Down Under a few months back.

12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It was fake ....... It was revealed on the news and yahoo as well a few days back as fake.

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nope...Has to be real....
    If it was fake...The Gobberment would not let them put it on da net...Real...

jungatheart and VisuTrac like this.
  14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Baaaaaaa baaaaaa baaaaaaa bs lol

15. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

FAke

The guy is a French film producer. Just like like the Red Bull airplane, done with CGA

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7