FNG

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by STGThndr, Oct 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Greetings from my Fortress of Torpor in the fastnesses of Colorado... Wandered in here while looking at references for several stainless knife steels. Noticed that Andy the Aussie was a founding member and several others from other fora I visit are here also. That and the fact that knifies, slicies, and pointy-poker thingies have interested me since about Day One.
    Simply put, I am a YewEssAy Coloradan cauc male, retired from the security field (most recently), live in a town in the central/southern part of the State most noteable for it's massive human misery/human warehousing industry. The local climate and countryside are both beautiful!
    Knife collecting seems to come naturally- have a modest collection of various straight-blades, many of them hanging on the wall of our living room. I go for large knives like bowies and kook-er-ez and have a few old interesting examples. My EDC is a Gerber folder with stag grips and thin flat-ground 4" blade with brass bolsters, which Ive had over 20 years. Right proud of that knife, too. A sometime carry would be a 4"-5" carbon five Cold Steel Master Hunter, which I have found useful for most tasks requiring the attention of my knife.
    Hoping to learn and maybe share blade info and stuff!

2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Welcome to the tree.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

[welcomeLG]to the forum!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey!! I'd like to see that collection of pointy, slicing, sharps you have... :D

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Welcome aboard. We have a few blade wavers around, and some that make them as well.

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Welcome and be welcome...and you won't be the FNG for too terribly long most likely. ;)

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome to the Monkey tree!

9. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Welcome to the limbs, please do not cut the limb you are sitting on.

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome!!

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to our little place on the web.... grab a branch and enjoy the ride....

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Welcome, @STGThndr.

Living life here on the plains of CO. Knives brought me to this site as well....great buncha folks here.

Pick a branch and make yourself at home.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Welcome!

14. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Happy to have you. Blades are always an interesting subject.

15. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Thank you all for the rousing welcome :) Makes a guy feel at home! I should mention making a few knives, larger and smaller, using mostly the grind/cutting method. Altho I worked some years as an ironworker and welder, my forging skills arent that great. The "take-away" method works if one has decent steel and understands hardening and tempering. My first was made from a file, ground down and polished, set in caribou antler (my wife was a "native American" and allowed to have such restricted things). I then inlaid hand-dug Cripple Creek turquoise into the grip and made a simple sheath. That was my EDC for some years until it was mislaid, lost or filched along the way. Note on caribou antler (grown by both male and females of the species) it takes the cake for being the HARDEST antler Ive ever polished... harder even than sambar stag.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly