Fogo flashlight/GPS/comm device

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hitchcock4, Jul 14, 2015.

1. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

So technically this is not a review because I don't have my hands on one yet. But I think a number of people will be interested in replacing a standard flashlight with this Fogo device.

Fogo was on Kickstarter recently and I ordered two. I do not have a relationship with the 3 creators of the Fogo -- other than I have previously ordered a device from one of the creators (Tyler Gilbert) and have been very happy with the product.

By using the pre-order link fogostore.refr.cc/H2TV83B you can get 10% off your order.

From their website:
    The Fogo is an outdoor gadget featuring a flashlight, GPS, bluetooth, walkie-talkie, and USB backup battery. [Note that some of these are "options" but if you get the "Fully loaded" version you get all this.]

Description here is for the Fogo "Fully loaded". This is available for pre-order. Item ships January 2016. You can get a full refund anytime before your order ships.

What's in the box?
    • Fogo with GPS, Radio, and Bluetooth
    • Digital Walkie-Talkie SmartCap
    • Waterproof up to 2 m (IPX8)
    • Flashlight (1000 lumens on high; high gives 315m throw)
    • Standard aluminum cap
    • Lanyard
    • Texting within 4 miles (rural area) or up to 16 miles (peak to peak)
    • Belt Clip
    • GPS accuracy to 2.5m
    • Go Pro Mount Adapter
    • 2x18650 Li-Ion Batteries
    • USB A to micro B cable for charing batteries internally
    • USB OTG micro B to A adapter for charging other devices
    So, one of the main reasons that I ordered 2 is for the communication options. With the GPS and the radio, it is very simple to get your current coordinates and send to someone else with a Fogo. The radio allows for "texting" to another Fogo as well as "walkie-talkie" style voice communications.

The Fogo team is also developing other Apps for the Fogo, so there will potentially be a lot more that this device will be able to do when it is released.

The 10% discount here (fogostore.refr.cc/H2TV83B )
    will be good until August 27.

Engadget did a review of it in January but I was not allowed to post the link. If you lookup "fogo engadget review" you will easily find it.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The above device has some interest, but without a Spec Sheet, it seems to be Vaporware......

3. BTPost

Yea, I read that, but No Specs were included... Comms on What Frequency? Is it FCC Type Accepted Yet, and for what Radio Services? What GPS Receiver ChipSet are they using? They say 3 Meter resolution. but No Specs.... Lots of questions, and No Answers.... That makes it Vaporware.... and NO Link (URL) to their Site..... Where at least some Specs should be located....

4. BTPost

Where are you getting that? Post the URL...

5. BTPost

Ok I see that they would be using the 902-928Mhz ISM/Ham Band in the USA.... but nothing on FCC Type Acceptance in USA...
    That approval is NOT trivial... They can't even market it, Import it, or Advertise it for Sale, in the USA without that approval... definitly Vaporware, until that is done....

6. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

i have several BAOFENG BF-8HP, cheap, 8 watt power, has a Light, factory antenna is ok for about 6 miles through town with trees and obstruction, have ordered aftermarket antenna, 3800mAH battery and a vehicle mag mount antenna.

BTPost likes this.
  7. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm just letting people know about the product in general.

If you look at the link that Tobit posted above (Kickstarter comments) you see a post from July 7 saying that they use the 868 / 915 Mhz range.

I did a quick search and found that the 915Mhz range is unlicensed. A Digikey page that states that "915 MHz is the center frequency of the band bounded by 902 and 928 MHz. Within this band, FCC regulations allow 50 mV/m electrical field strength, at a distance of 3 meters from the transmitting antenna." www. digikey. com/en/articles/techzone/2011/may/unlicensed-915-mhz-band-fits-many-applications-and-allows-higher-transmit-power

Also, understand that although they have built prototypes, there is still at least 1 revision more before the device is mass-produced. That is one of the keys of kickstarter -- anyone presenting a project on Kickstarter needs funds to mass produce their product. These guys raised $100,000 in the Kickstarter campaign to allow them to mass produce the product. That is why delivery is scheduled for January 2016. I can understand that some people are not comfortable with paying 6 months in advance for a product -- that is fine, then this product is not for you. As I mentioned, one of the 3 creators of this product I have worked with (purchased from) before and I trust him.

8. BTPost

Not UnLicensed, but covered under the National FCC Blanket License, for Part 15 devices, in the 902-928Mhz ISM/Ham Band, All devices in the category must still pass FCC Type Acceptance, as specified in CFR47Part15, BEFORE it is allowed to be Imported, Marketed, and Sold, in the USA.

Tobit likes this.
  9. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

I defer to you guys -- I'm new in this arena. Would like to study for my Ham (Technical) license but won't be able to start studying for a least a month due to home and work priorities.

But I did get a scanner to start with. Uniden BC125AT off eBay. Works well and is good for me as an introduction to communications. At least I find it easy to use.

Thanks for the input.

kellory, ghrit and Tobit like this.
  10. BTPost

A Tech Ham License Test is 30 Questions, Multiple Guess, and you only need 70% Correct to pass..... No Morse Code, Required.... You can memzmerize all the answers in about 8 Hours of Study.... Even 12 year Olds can do it, and have......
    We see lots of these new fangled, Bluetooth connected, Digital Devices, proposed, and floated around, these days... There was one that is also in the PreSales stage that runs on MURS VHF Frequencies, with 2 Watts RF Output, but ALSO hasn't passed FCC Type Acceptance, yet.... Was supposed to be available mid summer 2015, but still nothing, and still Vaporware....

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A multi-functional tablet built for backcountry survival

I believe this was what @BTPost is referring to. And I was the one to bring it here to be examined. Same problem, not yet approved for this country.

As for the tech ticket, I studied for mine on my phone with a free app from the play store. It drills you on every question in the question pool. It worked for me, and I am currently studying questions for the next level. (Same app/free)

BTPost likes this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@BTPost , any way to check if that problem has been surmounted yet for the Earl?

13. BTPost

You can eMail the FCC, Office oF the Chief Engineer, and inquire, they will only reply, if the product passed the tests, and is certified... Or if the OEM can provide the Certification Number....

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7