Agriculture Food Forest

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by BenP, Sep 6, 2018.

1. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I have been reading(listening) a series of survival fiction "Dark New World" and they have a "food forest" with edible trees and plants. This has inspired me to try my hand at permaculture and plant about an acre of edible perennial trees and plants. I am going to start with seeds to keep the cost down and these are the seeds I have ordered so far:

Cherry Plum
    Antonovka Apple
    Riverbank Grape
    Fiji Apple
    Ble Elderberry
    Callery Pear
    Bartlet Pear

I have been reading today about the American Linden Tree and I think I will order some seeds for those as well.

Has anyone tried something similar?

Thunder5Ranch and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Grapes loqauts pears black berry huckleberry prickly pear

Thunder5Ranch, sec_monkey and BenP like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Fiji apple trees appear to want to grow in what ever god forsaken landscape you put them on as long as you can get water to them.
    Just make sure the wind doesn't shred the leaves, it's a bit of a problem here.

BenP and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Jujube is an Asian fruit tree. It seems durable in our Texas summers. The type I have comes from cold ass northern China so it's cold tolerable as well.

BenP likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

For me, it would be coconut, mango, lychee, dragon eye, guava, papaya, banana, and avocado trees. Also pineapple and lilikoi. As well as taro and sweet potato. And on the perimeter, kiawe, pandanas, hau and ti. Kiawe has impressive thorns and is awesome firewood. Kiawe combined with mango wood also great smoking smoking food. Hau is fantastic for friction fires and many other things. And it grows in a tangly mess. Ti wards off evil, is a great food wrapper and can be used for many crafts. Pandanas also has saw like leaves. But they are also great for crafts. And you can eat the fruit.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7